Profile picture for rlsbwshop

Square footage, How is this computed

I see here on on zillow my house has a listed sq footage of just over 900 sq ft and my eestimate on this is over 1700 is there a reason why the differenece. It is a 2 story with a finished basement.
  • March 24 2010 - New Prague
  • 0

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Zillow's figure comes from the county records.  I've found that basements are treated differently in some parts of the country.
The "rules" seem to be established by the county and appraisal industry.
The figure usually refers to heated living space, above ground, that meets the requirements of habitable space.  Ceiling heights and egress requirements must be met.
Maske a quick call to your building department to confirm your local custom.