Staging Your Home

The first thing to remember is de-personal!  You want prospective buyers to visualize themselves living in your home.  Don't get offended when a buyer or your realtor makes suggestions on updates.  You may have loved your home exactly the way it is, but you want as many buyers to be attracted to it as possible.  So, you may need to change paint colors, remove excess furniture or take down that stuffed deer above the fireplace.
  • August 07 2010 - Durham
  • 0

"Decorating" and "Staging" are two very different things. Decorating is taste specific while Staging is done to appeal to the masses.

Neutral color pallets, open up spaces and Q-Tip clean is the way to go.

Neutralize the color pallet...so perspective Buyers can picture their "things" in your space

Open Up Spaces: Remove excess (or oversized) furniture. Use minimal accessories. Exchange heavy drapes for light neutral side panels or tailored shades.

CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN Make your house sparkle inside and out!

Profile picture for Cashin 23
I set up consultations with a series of staging companies that I've used and see how my client responds to their presentations and tastes.  We make the decision based on this collaboration.

I always tell my sellers, make your home look like a magazine. You don't see a whole bunch of personal photos in magazines. And the rooms are never cluttered. Create scenes trying to tell the story of that room.

For those who are insistent on not de-personalizing, I recommend getting 2 or 3 plastic crates and some blankets.  I go through before a showing and put the photos, clutter, etc. in the crates with blankets for protection.  I can just stack them in the garage or a closet.  Then I can put them back after the showing.