State Spending and Educational Funding an issue across the country?

I would love some thoughts and ideas about State Spending and Budget issues and the effects on Education.  My school district is pushing on elected officials as to the short falls in educational budgets.  I see that many school districts are TOP heavy and that is where the cuts need to be made.  Like a flower, do you cut the Roots (Teachers and Programs) or do you cut the leaves (ADMIN) so they can grow new and better leaves?

This has a direct impact on teachers and the community.  People dont want to move to schools that have programs. 

I am looking for concrete data that supports the theory of consoldidating school districts saves money !!!

I am looking for concrete data that shows taking forign language and Strings(Band) out of schools at the elementry level has HUGE effects.
  • May 23 2010 - Lexington

Profile picture for markbrian
Edwin, we area also facing serious budget shortfalls in Anderson County.

What is really strange is that Anderson County is divided into 5 school districts which really makes the administration even more bloated than it needs to be IMHO.

But as far as concrete data, there was a study for Anderson County by Clemson University.

I hope that helps!

@ Edwin - You included "programs" as part of the "roots" for education. This is not an easy assumption to make.

Many programs are too specialized/focused, and may still not achieve any meaningful results (within the context of an educational vice social agenda). And, these programs all come with their own overhead (admin, specialists, etc.).

To be blunt, you need to consider branches, roots, and suckers. The number of "sucker programs" that have evolved over the past 20-30 years is not insignificant.

Profile picture for real estate mike
taxes will go up or values will be increased. Every kid deserves a brand new school and the latest greatest computer lab; we know this is what makes great adults who contribute to society. :) It can have nothing to do with discipline, respect or a good work ethic. What is the other option for municipalities; reduce services. A shame if our bloated governments must shrink a little isn't it. If we suddenly earm less income what happens? Hopefully we cut spending or work longer hours to make up the deficit. Some cities in my area are going to four day work weeks. Sounds good to me.