Stick with an Agent or find a new one

I have used the same real estate agent for 2 purchases now(one rental, one home). I liked her very much and so did my wife. I have been discussing selling the rental for a few years now with the agent(off and on). She has always been open to working with me. This year, I was getting ready to sell and the agent said she'd run some comps. After 3 weeks, and 3 emails, I wrote her a polite note, saying if she didn't have time I understood, I just wanted an update. She finally replied saying she 'had something going on' and she would have her friend help(i still haven't heard from her friend) I went with another agent on that listing. Now it's coming time for my wife and I to upgrade our home, and we are torn between trying to find someone new or using the same agent. On one hand I'm mad she didn't get back to me for 3 weeks(I'm ok with her being busy or unable to help, but the wait was a pain.) on the other she was very good for 2 transactions. Should I try to find someone new? or should I give this agent a 2nd chance and hope it goes better?

August 28 2012 - New York

Ho about the agent you used on the listing she turned down? You don't say much about that one...?

I think you might want to give her one more chance, but one email and/or voicemail would be it. Don't go out of your way, treat her as if she was a new agent you were contacting. Wait 24-48 hrs for response and thats it, if no response go with someone else.  I agree with wetdawgs, be cautious and realize that you might need to move on.  In this market at least in our area an agent needs to move quickly since our inventory is so low.  Other agents are our customers as well and you need to have an agent that is not only responsive to you but to other agents.  Good luck in your purchase! 

I agree with Amber.  She might have been in a bad place when you where trying to sell the rental.  Give her a call and give her a chance on the current project you are working on.  If she does not come through in a timely manner then I would go with the Agent you used with the last transaction you did (as long as you liked that Agent).  I would not give her any sort of heads up that you are testing her though, you want her to act as she would normally. 

There are times in everyone's life where there are bonafide reasons for not being able to conduct business as normal (e,g, heart attack, mother dying, car accident etc).   However, as she's got a history of lack of responsiveness and her "friend" also was not responsive, I've be very cautious.   Whenever we hire an agent for selling or buying, we interview them rigorously before getting involved in moving forward.   This sounds like a good time to start the interview process.  You can include her in the interviews, but make it clear that previous behavior means that it isn't a slam dunk.   Here's a link to Zillow's article on choosing a good agent.  and "questions to ask a listing agent"

It sounds like, despite the time she was out of contact, that she has been a very good agent at times.  I say second chance! :-)