Profile picture for TWB
  • TWB

Stuff Happens When You're A Kid

OK, so the thing with the dog got me thinking about this and sometimes no matter how careful you are stuff happens.

One day when I was two, while my mom was cleaning the kitchen and I was playing in the family romm, I decided to go visit the neighbors.  I got up, managed to get the screen door to the patio open, and walked a block down, through two empty lots, to visit.  When I got there the neighbor immediately called mom and she came running over to get me.  She said, "I'd just walked out of the kitchen, wondering why you were so quiet, when the phone rang."

A group of us were at the Rennaisance Faire here in So Cal one year and we were headed for the parking lot when my sister noticed that her youngest daughter (age seven) was no longer by her side.  She immediately called for her but there was no answer.  We split up, about six of us, going up and down through the faire, calling her name, and after about ten minutes my sister went to the security booth and there was my niece.  She had actually gotten ahead of us, and, in the crowd, you couldn't see anything at ground level more than a couple of feet away.  She had made it all the way to the front gate where she was stopped by one of the staff.  When my sister picked up her daughter the head of security said, "It's OK, Ma'am.  We haven't lost one yet."

I was taking a walk in my neighborhood one day and as I came around a corner there was a child, still in diapers, walking out of an alleyway, heading for the street.  I immediately picked the child up and walked down the alley until I came to an open garage door where a man was painting the walls.  He turned to see me holding his child, which I handed to him.  I told him where I had found him and he said, "I just started painting, just now.  How could he move that fast?"

Just saying.

• August 07 2008 - US
  • 0

When I was 3 (so I am told) I saw a watercolor paint set at the local Five and Dime.  It was about a mile away from my house, as the crow flies, if you crossed a divided 4 lane busy thoroughfare.  I guess I asked for the paint set and my Mom said "No."  So, after we got home, I went outside to play with a girl (who, I am told was younger than I was) from the neighborhood (yep, by myself - remember when parents used to allow that?).   I decided that I would just go get the paint set myself and thought it would be nice to have some company, so I brought my friend along with me.

Yep - we made it across that street and right into the store.  I do remember a clerk talking to me when I had the paint set in my hands and asking me where my Mom was, and I clearly remember her telling me that I needed money to pay for the paint set.  I remember being confused by that whole concept.

The next thing I remember, my friend and I were loaded into the back of a police car.  I can remember sitting back there and thinking that I was being arrested (because that is what happened to the bad guys on TV if they were put into the back of a police car).  It turned out that the lady cop was a friend of my Mom's, had heard the call about two unsupervised kids at the store, and recognized me and was able to take me home.

I also have a story from my childhood that involves firefighters.....

At least Nancy Grace didn't get a hold of these stories! She say how HORRIBLE the adults were regarding the 'angels'....

I can't wait till her twins start to walk. (I was really hoping she had a few more in the bunch, so she couldn't just hire it all done.) lol

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

. We were at a local water park when I was about 10 years old and all of a sudden they called everyone out of the water. A small girl maybe 4-5 years old was missing. I remember a group of people holding arms and walking through the water and all of a sudden there was a commotion. And someone comes up with the lifeless child. I remember seeing the girl laying there on the ground as they were giving her CPR and the ambulance came. They ended up closing the park and telling everyone to go home that day. A few weeks later as I am driving with a relative he pipes up and asks me if I had heard about “such and such’s” daughter almost drowning and he begins to tell me his cryptic 3rd party information and where it happened. It was the same girl … I knew her parents and had been to their house many times. Her Dad was in my relatives wedding. Turns out she was ok and only suffered minor hearing loss in one ear. I'm not sure what one had to do with the other but small world huh ?

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Creeeepy Scott :o(  That stuff makes me SO nervous.  I was walking down the sidewalk one day on a busy Main St of shops and a girl crossed the road (she was about 12, same age as me at the time) and she was struck by a car.  I still remember seeing her body flying through the air.  She went about a block airborne.  The car was going real fast.  Awful.  She died.

Another bad one.  I had my boys in the car (no girls yet) and was stopping at downed train arms.  The train stopped moving in an odd place and i KNEW someone was hit.  I felt it.  I got freaked out immediately.  I saw nothing, but knew.  Then the conductor got out, and that sealed it for me.  I turned around and left.  Turns out it was a retired dentist who took his own life.  So sad.

We stopped to pick up a guy walking with a gas tank out in the middle of nowhere after passing his car. The car behind us continued on. It was xmas eve.

We then stopped because the car behind us and an oncoming car were in a wreck. Life flight came.  The saddest  part is when life flight shut down their engines. There was no one to take to the hospital.

As we drove by, there was an empty infant seat in the back seat. I never heard about it to know the outcomes.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

a few years ago we were driving down the highway and saw a car on the side of the road just after it quit raining. There was a man waving something trying to get someone attention and my wife is an RN so we stopped. as I was pulling over I noticed that the compact car had been hit hard from the back and was badly smashed. I ran up to the car to see a child about the age of 6-7 in the back seat slumped over. he was coughing on blood and the only thing we could do to keep him from suffocating was move him. so I undid his seatbelt and began to lean him forward while holding his neck. as soon as I leaned him forward I could see his whole back was black and blue. My wife and 2 other nurses worked on him on the side of the road until life flight got there. They took him and the grandfather away by helicopter. After they left I took a few minutes to gather my thoughts and pray for the child. Looking over the scene I came to the conclusion that the grandfather pulled over to the side of the road (probably because of the rain) and someone hit them in a small pickup truck. ( ford ranger) there was a flyer from the county fair laying on the floor as well as one of those small portable DVD players. His grandfather must have taken him to the county fair and they were on their way home. The mental picture of the accident haunts me to this day. Looking at the car.. I can say beyond a reasonable doubt that if the car wasn’t so small that kid would be alive today. But I feel even worse for the family. This is why I say never buy a small car thinking it’s going to save you gas money because it may cost you your life.

Ok, I have chills running up and down my arms from this stuff!

After hubby's last accident, we look at crash ratings before buying. That's why we did the TDI. It had excellent crash ratings and still excellent mpg. Hubby rejected MOST small cars on the market in his research.

We can't agree with you more.

Profile picture for gvw3
  • gvw3

I have six kids. When they all started to drive I put them in the biggest beast of a car I could find. They all lived....

Profile picture for Oklahomamom

Yep, we got a big old POC Chevy pickup just for that purpose.

I'd rather pay $4.25 a gallon for midgrade fuel and spend upwards of $100 to fill my tank up, than to risk injury to my child.  I couldn't live with myself.

Profile picture for Oklahomamom

We made our daughter buy her own gas! That was last year though, before things went really crazy. She doesn't drive it (or anything for that matter) anymore. Long story. It's sitting waiting for my son to turn 16 next month.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

I got away from my parents when I was 4.  We were at a museum on vacation and I turned around and they were gone.   I was crying and freaking out and I ended up in the parking lot by their car.  They were freaking out too when they found me. 

Profile picture for TWB
  • TWB

But through deductive reasoning you figured out that if you could get back to the car you'd probably find them evenatually.  And then you kept your head about you and made it to your destination.

A very important suvival skill.

Well done.