Profile picture for tnjazzgal

Suggestions for upping my curb appeal?

What's the best way to add "pop" to the outside of my country cottage for sale?

July 28 2011 - Lenoir City

Maybe I'm just getting old... but I really think those front porch steps could use at least one decorative hand rail.

Profile picture for New_Englander
Ah, thanks for the info..

I don't know what the market is like in Tennessee, and maybe $85,000-ish is the typical price for a small house or maybe even high.  From my perspective, though, the person who will be buying this house will be looking for a starter home or a cute house for one person.  (Good god!  The property taxes paid in 2009 are less than 5% of my taxes for quite a modest house.)  They may also very well not be as picky as we are.  I mean, I could look at some of the houses in my area which are on the market and point out all the flaws (of which there are MANY in some cases) but the people in the market for houses in the price range of many of those houses will not be as picky.  (Unless, of course, they have been brainwashed by HGTV into thinking everything should look a certain way.)

So here I guess I'd just repeat the advice to "freshen" a bit.  Maybe add a little more contrast with paint.  Declutter.  Nothing major.  The inconsistency among elements is kind of odd, but seems typical for older houses which have had changes made piecemeal by various owners.  (And given the tax assessment in 2009, I'd guess substantial amounts of work have been done recently, too, unless the assessment was made without awareness for the interior.)

Agree about the flower boxes... my mission is to root out all plastic flower boxes in the world.  Wood flower boxes can be expensive to buy, but basic wood boxes can be handmade with no special skills or tools.

It was built in 1940.

1940 brick cottage

The owner has already spent quite a bit on "improvements" based on the photos; but some items are a bit inconsistent, and some appear to not be fully thought out.  (1900's looking wood burning stove for a fire in the living room, with 2000's duct work, in a 1940's home?  And stone fascia around the wood stove with the exterior walls being brick?)

I like the side porch flooring much better than what was done for the front porch.  But I don't like the plastic flower boxes on the railings of the side porch.

Profile picture for New_Englander
Yes, but again, we can go back to the vinyl/wood debate. Not everyone cares about maintenance-free siding.  And I wouldn't say the "point" of having brick is that it's virtually maintenance-free.  It can be virtually maintenance-free, but some people like the aesthetics.  Some people would prefer toning down the brick with paint, even if that eliminates the "maintenance-free" aspects of it.

Again, I'm not advocating doing this - I threw it out there, several posts ago, as a possible, but admittedly controversial, change - one which would be most okay to make if the siding is veneer rather than solid brick.

People DO do this.  They do it on tons of those HGTV shows.  I don't take those shows as "gospel," but clearly some people think covering red brick is an improvement in some cases.  Being from New England, I certainly like red brick.  I don't think it would be a huge loss to paint over it in this case, though, even if it's real brick.  I'm sure the current owner may have a strong opinion about this, and never consider it, which is fine.

What year was it built, anyway?  How can I see that?

The point of having a brick faced home is it is practically maintenance free. When you paint the brick you no longer have a maintenance free house.

When I sold a home down in Florida I came across painted stucco which had been attacked by a coral colored mold/fungus. The only way to remove it was using a pressure washer which of course removed the paint. If you have an unpainted surface a light pressure washing will remove any unwanted growth (pretty common down south) without destroying the finish.

Personally, I like red brick as there are so few brick houses in Minneapolis.

Remove the ladders and other items from the side of the house (outside the kitchen wall).  (place them in the locked shed).

Web address:
http://photos2.zillow.com/is/image/i0/i8/i3109/IS7x1bwot7ltb7.jpg

By the way, I was surprised to see that the front porch was installed directly over the original smaller brick front porch...

There is something very very strange about those windows...  they look like aluminum retrofit just mounted to the exterior of the window trim!  They don't look like they belong, and the don't look very becoming close up.

But I see no easy way to fix it without completely redoing the windows including all the window trim both inside and out.

Oh, I see I was deceived by the aberrations in the reduced photo-size...  that is not fish-scales at all!  Just a low cost grooved plywood siding with 3" appearance boards.

I don't like seeing the heat pump along the side of the house.  Yes, I like to know it is there, but I don't like to see it.  (And I like to hear it even less).

I would add some screening or fencing...  make sure there is enough space for proper air flow.  And then would plant all around it.

Too bad it got place right outside the window!  That means it is almost impossible to hide from that window view!  I would be extremely tempted to move it, even though it does mean pouring a new pad, redoing the coolant lines, and redoing the electrical.

"If there are buyers out there who would make offers on it if only it weren't red brick, then maybe it shouldn't matter to the seller whether they're violating the architects' intent and it's not reversible." -

If there are buyers out there that don't like red brick, they probably don't like brick at all.  And even if they do like white brick, or mud color brick, or gray brick, or yellow brick... their color choices will be just as limiting and "dated".  Thus, if that is their preference, they should buy it and paint it before moving in.

And personally, I couldn't date the house at all from the picture.  Many elements looked 1920's including the double hung windows.  The front porch looked 1890's.  The heat pump looked 1990's.  The front door looks 2000's.  The brick looks 1980's....  The fake pretend shutters look 1950's.  I had to go back to the home details page to get the date.

I'm completely baffled about how the house got fish-scales in the front gable, but just plain 8" ship-lap siding in the side gables.

The fish-scales give it a Victorian tone, along with the tuned porch spindles.  But the house isn't even close to being old enough to be Victorian.  And most of the rest of the house doesn't have any other Victorian elements.

Anyway, I like the decorative Victorian elements on the front porch and wouldn't change them out.  But it does provide some architectural inconsistency that makes one ponder.

Jazzgal, I think the biggest change would be to add some landscaping.  The house is adorable; but could use some 'finishing'.  Some gallon containers of 'goldmops and red barberry arent expensive and offer great year round color.  I would camouflage the wire and box on the front of the house with a taller bush or trellis with a plant in front.  Definately lay down a path of some kind to the front of the door, bricks or slate tiles are fairly easy to do.  I would unclutter the porch, leaving only the table and chairs and some pots of flowers or plants (do you have anything already inside that you could bring out)?  Lastly, spray paint the table and chairs!  They look pink or purple in the photos...you personality is showing, but make it more neutral.  Good luck.

Profile picture for New_Englander
I fully understand your points, and they're very valid.  I'm just pointing out that there are actually people who would say, "eew, that looks dated.  I don't like it."  Painting IS one way to make it "pop" (to use the word the OP used.)  I'm definitely not advocating painting it - it's just one possibility.

If there are buyers out there who would make offers on it if only it weren't red brick, then maybe it shouldn't matter to the seller whether they're violating the architects' intent and it's not reversible.

It's like my issue with vinyl siding.  I hate vinyl siding.  My question today is about removing my vinyl and replacing it with wood clapboard.  But let's say I had wood clapboard and wanted to replace with vinyl, removing a lot of the wood in the process... some people would scream about ruining the charm of the house, while others would think it was a huge improvement.  Anything is possible.

Once you paint brick, or even brick veneer, you are "stuck"... you can never go back to the original without sand-blasting the whole thing, and re-pointing all the grout.  And even then, the texture will change.

Yes, if it was designed painted to begin with, then fine, keep painting it.  And yes, if you had graffiti all over it, you may be stuck painting it.  But there is no reason to ruin the architect's design and concept by painting just on a whim.

Profile picture for New_Englander
You do have a point - paint COULD look like you are trying to hide something.

There's a market for red brick houses, yes.  But, as with my question about wood vs. vinyl siding, on another forum, you've got people in each camp.  There are some people who do NOT like red brick and will paint over it.  (Note the number of people (in real life as well as on home shows) who paint over their red brick fireplaces because they think they look "dated.")  It can be hard to know what will turn off a buyer and what will draw one in... and for everyone you draw in, you might turn off someone else.

Really, all most of us are doing is giving our opinion.  I suggested it as a possibility.  (There is some nice (real) brick veneer which is durable and which could be painted, rather than being removed.  It's not the same as painting over vinyl siding or something.)

Also, it's hard for me to tell, from the photo, whether this is real brick (meaning solid masonry rather than real brick cut as veneer.)  It may look fantastic and authentic in real life.

Sure looks like real brick to me.  The color pallete for choices with the current brick is wide.

It is one of a thousand painted brick buildings that I think look okay and then just barely okay. The rest look trashed.  It would be a no brainer for me to walk away from a house with a painted brick exterior, I wouldn't put my foot across the threshhold.  I guess my opinion about paint on brick is like yours on vinyl.   I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

That certainly looks like real brick to me, with real grout; all the way round, all the way from the foundation up.

But regardless, even if it is veneer, Don't paint it!  It looks very natural and has a good selection of color tones, and doesn't look damaged.  Paint would look like you are trying to hide it.  If you want to do that, and it was veneer, you might as well rip it all off and put some other siding up.

But this clearly looks like a brick house to me, and there is a market for brick houses.

Profile picture for New_Englander
Wetdawgs - I said to paint it if it were VENEER (rather than the building being a solid masonry building), and I also pointed out that it's a controversial choice.  Have you ever watched the shows Curb Appeal, or Designed to Sell?  Have you ever been to Dartmouth (which has mostly white painted brick buildings)?  Painted brick can look very good if the right variety of paint, in the right color palette, is chosen.  If this were an old brick mansion, I would never suggest it, and I said that I had a "moral" issue with painting real brick.  But, red brick is not always preferred, and it's limiting.  If it's veneer, being opposed to painting it is akin to opposing painting oak builder-grade cabinets.  It's not a fine material to be preserved in its original state.  (It will also take paint quite well.)

I agree with Pasadenan, painting the brick would be a disastrous choice.   (Amusing that a person who hates vinyl siding suggests painting the brick!)

Keep the grass nicely trimmed.

DON'T paint the brick; people like authentic looking brick and don't want the hassle of maintaining paint on it, especially if it starts pealing.

Add stepping stones or pavers for the walkway up to the front porch.  (May not need to go all the way, but at least from the porch forward 5 to 10 feet.)

You might even want to add a copper-red color trim to complement the brick.  (not brick red, and not bright red).

Replace that kitchen wallpaper!!!  It is distracting, and not inviting.

Profile picture for New_Englander
Whoops, I see you have window boxes.  When I first wrote my response, I hadn't seen the pictures.  I edited after viewing them, but forgot to remove that suggestion.  I'd paint the boxes another color and add more colorful flowers to it, as well as some draping foliage plants.

Also, in the pictures I viewed I couldn't tell that your porch floor was green - it looked unfinished or like faded stain to me.  Pasadenan has some good ideas.  Because your house really does have a "cottage" look, you have a lot more leeway for adding color without it looking over-the-top or turning off buyers.

A controversial suggestion - you COULD paint the brick.  Is it real brick, or veneer?  If veneer, I would probably definitely paint it.  If real brick, I'd have some "moral" (ha ha) issues with painting it, yet doing so would really open up a lot of other possibilities for the other siding, trim, and porch colors.

I agree that the wire is ugly.  Alas, in many places (including where I live) utility lines cannot be buried.  I never notice all the phone and electrical lines running along my road and to houses until I go to other areas where everything is buried.  Burying them does make a huge difference in appearance.

Correct the crawl space access doors and make sure they vent while still keeping animals out.

Add a round decorative attic vent in the front of the porch gable.

Replace the shutters

Paint the electrical boxes some other color than brick red.  Perhaps the green of the porch floor, or perhaps black, or perhaps white.

Perhaps paint the shutters in the darker green instead of the lighter green?

Perhaps paint the gutters in the darker green instead of the lighter green?  If so, perhaps the roof fascia board too?

Perhaps paint the vent in the side gable the darker green too?

I've seen the turned porch posts really spruced up by a couple bands of colored paint to highlight the detail work.  Use the same green trim paint colors.

Install white lattice work around the base of the porch, both for trim, and to keep animals out from under.

On the front gable roof trim board, and the decorative scroll ends, paint a decorative scroll in the contrasting trim colors.

Where you have the white climbing plant support, plant climbing roses or similar.

Can that overhead phone/cable wire be taken down?   Perhaps placed underground?

Address of Full size picture:
http://photos2.zillow.com/is/image/i0/i5/i8747/ISfv84lcv9rdlv.jpg

Hi there,

I would suggest painting the door.  Add mulch in flower garden, and add several plants and flowers.

I like tall grasses!

Profile picture for New_Englander
I've looked at the photos one more time - do you have a front door other than the glass door?  If not, I would add something which can give a pop of color.  I'd also probably add a brick or stone chimney surround to your metal pipe chimney.

You have a cute house with nice country-style landscaping.  I'm looking at it with the eyes of someone who also lives in a country setting.  We left our deck unstained for a long time and just finished staining it a cedar tone, and it looks absolutely fantastic - HUGE difference.  I think just freshening everything so that there is more contrast (all the while having the elements complement each other) and making things look "finished" would do a lot to up your curb appeal, without costing a lot.

Profile picture for New_Englander
Agree.  I've just looked at your photos, and I would also say to repaint your shutters if they are wood.  If they can't be painted, replace them with something with another color.  I'd also freshen the paint on the clapboard trim (if it's not vinyl.) 

You don't have to match the shutters to the front door, but both should contrast with the siding (and complement each other.)  I agree with the statement about a bright red door - we've got this on the front of our house (with white siding and black shutter.)  We have a side door which is still the very light grey primer color (and until recently, the side had no shutters.)  You could (and still can) really contrast the two sides and see which one pops.  Our next project is to paint the side door the same color as the front door. 

I would also paint or stain your porches.  That will make a huge difference in making your house look fresh rather than tired.

In the category of "non-permanent" changes - think about window boxes with flowers, or hanging baskets, or urn-style planters flanking the door. 

Paint your front door!  Strangely enough this small project makes a big difference!  I've seen a 'blah' house go to BAM with a bright red door.  I had some clients with a cute lakefront cape cod paint their door a sage green color and suddenly it had more charm.  Good luck to you!

Hi Tnjazzgal:

how to add a picture - easy!  Simple post and click on the picture icon in the tool bar above the posting box.  In order to make it so we can clutter it with useful hints (as per example by Diane Truman), you will have to start a new thread.  If you just add on to this thread we won't be able to comment.

Profile picture for tnjazzgal
Wow, thanks for all the great replies, and apologies for not having a photo of the house...  this is my first time to post, and I have not been able to figure out how to upload a pic!  Could someone perhaps help me out with this?  Thanks!

can't see your photos but i would suggest finding a home stager in your area and asking them for advice on how to up your curb appeal. you can search on zillow, and site like activerain.com - for real estate community. good luck!