Profile picture for KD in Texas

Sweetening the deal

We're selling by a lake. Think it would sweeten the pot if we threw in the boat? (It's not new but it's fully functional)
  • November 27 2007 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for dagaleaa
It could very well be a great incentive for someone to buy your house. Many times after you buy a house you don't have the extra income for something like a boat to enjoy the lake. I live in Florida and I've seen big screen tvs, fully furnished houses, boats and even cars thrown in the deal. We have a lot of snowbirds who live here only 6 months out of the year---they like to buy a property furnished with a car already in the driveway!

I would agree that it would sweeten the deal. May help you sell faster but may not get you a better price...

Profile picture for Alan May
>> I would agree that it would sweeten the deal. May help you sell faster but may not get you a better price.<<

I couldn't have said it better myself.

certain personal property conveyed in a purchase of real estate triggers a lender to request appraisal of the personal property. The lender will sometimes subtract that amount from the loan amount for purchase of the real estate.

If you choose to use your boat as a sweetener to the deal, when you get a contract you may want to consider including language that severs the value of the boat from the value of the real estate purchase.

for example, something along the lines of "boat is being conveyed as a convenience to the seller and is of no monetary value".
Your agent or attorney will be able to help you with the appropriate language to use.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
if we'd looked at a house where the sellers were throwing in a boat my boyfriend would have looked at it like "oh cool! you buy this boat and they throw in the house honey! we have to get this boat!" LOL he's a water freak. that sounds like a nice idea kd

lol betterlatethannever, sounds like my hubby.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
I mean there are things that 'sold' me on our house, like all the woodwork and stuff, and all the custom storage spots all over the house...but that is inside the house. If we came across a house with a boat when we were looking, my bf would see it as a boat with a house. LOL It'd be hard for me to convince him otherwise. :)