Switching agent or bypass agent

I like to purchase a house and have my agent submitted a contract for a price that is below the listing price.  The seller agent responded with a counteroffer and some comparable recent sold houses.  After reviewing those houses, I have provided my agent the differences between those houses and the house that I am interested in purchasing, and asked my agent to do the negotiation with those facts.  My agent however did not deliver the information I provided to the seller agent nor did any negotiation.  Would you please advise whether I can work with a different agent or I can do the negotiation directly with the seller agent?  Thank you.
  • August 19 2012 - Fairfax
  • 0

Your buyer agent should have negotiated with the listing agent.  I wonder ....did she rejected the comps that you had provided to her and if she did, did you insisted that she should present them anyways?  By the way, how do you know that she has not negotiated on your behalf?  At this point, if I were you I would have a word with her Broker, maybe he can make the call instead of her.  This is indeed a reason to terminate your contract with her and find another buyer agent that you can respect.   

Did you sign a Buyer's Agreement with the agent you are presently working with?  If you did, first speak with your agent again and tell them how you feel.  It is possible there can be a misunderstanding.  If you know for sure the agent is NOT negotiating for you, you can ask to speak to their broker.  Then if you are still unsatisfied, you can asked to be released IF you signed an agreement.  If you did not you are not obligated to continue working with them.

Please give them the opportunity to respond. 

Your agents job is to negotiate for you. If they are not doing that, you need a different agent. I would contact their broker and explain that you are not happy.

Thank you

Hopefully you did not sign a buyer contract. If you did, try speaking with the managing broker and explain the situation.

Profile picture for Jason Curry
I'm assuming that you signed a buyer / broker agreement with the agent that you're working with.  If that's the case, you will have to ask them to break the terms of the agreement which I doubt they will do if they're already helping you on the property that you're buying.  If for some reason they didn't have you sign a buyer / broker agreement, you could stop working with them.  It's questionable ethically but if they're not helping you, there's not much you can do.