Switching jobs and expanding career field before applying for mortgage

Can anyone expand on the "same line of work" concept. I am a service tech at The Home Depot, repairing small engines, electric hand tools and rental equipment. I would be starting a job with the water company performing repairs on water and sewer lines and water systems. The wage is almost double. would this cause a problem for me as I apply for a loan?

• July 01 2013 - Brookland

This not a problem at all, the lender would simply verify your previous employment and new employment.  The only reason it would create an issue is if your compensation was commission based versus salary or hourly.  I hope this helps

It sounds like you're still using the same skill sets and just changing the company you're working for. It shouldn't be a problem. And the increase in your income will only help you!

I don't see it as a huge stretch to say that those could be viewed as the same line of work. Both are repair related and I'm sure your new employer considers your previous job as qualification for their position. If you also posses a certification and/or vocational training that spans the type of repairs you do/did, then I can't see an underwriter disagreeing.