Profile picture for SBB
  • SBB
  • Contributions:19

How to Get Showings

Our house has been on market for a month w only 2 showings. Dropped price $25000 a week ago and still no showings. Believe current price is low for sq footage and location, but house is 18 yrs old and does NOT have hardwood floors, granite counters or fireplaces. All systems well maintained and has huge master suite w updated master bath. Any suggestions to get showings? I don't see how we can get offers if we don't get people to look.

August 11 2007 - US

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
Unfortunately no answers from me. Maybe offer an incentive to the buyers?

No answers from me either, same boat we fropped our price 20k and had very few showings, have people who no show. It just stinks right now. Best of luck.
Where are you located??

Shannon,
are you near the shore?

two things you can do;

1- post lots of signage near and around your home. maybe hire a kid to wave a big sign on you street or area.

2- for a quick sale you must price to sell. make sure your property is much less expensive than the rest.

Mpal
Yes I a near the shore. I am a walk from the bay and near LBI (by like 20 mins.) All the homes in the area I live ( it is called Osbourn Island) are pretty much waterfront.

Profile picture for ptmama00
I am trying to sell my 6th house in the market from hell...Atlanta....so much new construction, resales lag behind. My house has been up for 2 years, 8 months, is 7 years old, and I haven't even gotten a lousy offer... dropped the price from 374,900 to 347,000 for 5300 sq feet....is extremely clean, well maintained, great subdivision, etc.....guess the Good Lord must have some lesson for me to learn and I guess I am a slow study on this one....and if it is patience He is trying to teach me, I will always be a work in progress.....not my strong suit.

Profile picture for robin398
Be Ready to Show at All Times

Homeowners need to know that same-day and also last-minute requests for showings are common, so a homeowner with a rule of give me 24 hours notice usually cuts himself off the bulk of the potential buyers. Normally, the The only time that one should give 24 hour notice is when a tenant is living in the house.

Once a house is deemed difficult to show by agents, the homeowner won't receive calls to have it shown.

Keep it Flexible

Homeowners need to know that agents do try to arrive within the specified showing time, but sometimes it isn't easy. There could be traffic problems or they got stuck at the last house they were showing. It happens so the seller needs to be flexible.

Sellers take the extra time to stay away from home during a showing so as not to interrupt.

Sellers Who Want to Be Present

It is a bad idea for sellers to be home during a showing. Homeowners often think that agents and buyers need guidance in finding important home features but many would like to see the buyer's reaction.

Homeowners should be know that hanging around at a showing can kill a sale and make the potential buyers uncomfortable. Buyers don't feel free to examine a house by opening closet doors or kitchen cabinets doors when the homeowner is present, and when they feel like someone is spying on them then they will move on to the next house quickly.

Homeowners like to talk about more than their house. The seller's mood can turn off the buyer or the homeowner can put his foot in his mouth. Potential buyers are there to look at the house and not engage in controversial or mundane conversation with the homeowner.

If homeowners need to be home while the property is being shown, you need to stay outside or in one area and not hang out with the agent and buyer.

Profile picture for tmegerle
SBB -- Where are you? I am concerned about our situation in Northern KY. Been on market for a month. We've had 10 showing.. only 4 of which were real. One was a walk through, 2 cancellations, a few pre-showings.. very dissappointing. I am concerned if we drop to the absolutely lowest price we can live with, with out short selling.. we still wont get traffic.

I am listed at 300k, and if I got lower then 285k, we're in trouble.. If I could get a buyer without an agent I would give all that away just to dump the house so we can move on.

We are moving in two weeks for my job. We're renting a house in Florida and my hubby will have to work to pay for the rent while we throw money on a house that I've been told by a friend in mortgage business might not have appreciated in 2 1/2 years (even with the 30k in upgrades of windows,siding, ac/heat pump).. I am dumbfounded to hear that but if that's true then I'll deal with it.

While I don't know your market some of the suggestions to get showing pertain to what I do here in my local market. I alwasy look at what has sold in the neighborhood recently and them compare my home to the others nearby to see how we compare. If other homes show better and have more upgraded features but is priced similarly to my listing then I know I need a price adjustment. Our market is adjusting regularly downward and sellers need to adjust to the reality. It hurts for those that I meet with that will be upsidedown to sell. For some they can cancel off the market and wait yet others cannot.
Our market sells the homes that are staged well, fresh paint and carpet, and or those with a more special feature like views, lot size, or just fully remodeled.
In some markets evaluate what it will be like to be a landlord. Renting your home may be best for a short term of 2 years just to give you a chance to rebound. Check that option out too.
On a whole different note, remember to think positive. Keep the energy of the home vibrant. People feel it.
Best of luck to you all

Ok...I did not proof my typing...sorry for the typo's :(

hmmmm, interesting the guy who turned him onto it and the name of the poster are the same.....this wouldn't be spamming would it?

looks like spam to me.

tastes like fried baloney

If it looks like a duck ...its a duck. (Is that a new age spelling for which?)

Profile picture for Sleeping
tmegerle,
If I can use myself as an example, there are buyers out there, and waiting for you to lower your price. Comps mean nothing to me, as well as Zestimates; in fact, I'm more inclined now to look at prices 2-3 years in the past. Sellers don't know where to price their houses. One neighborhood, for example, has 20 homes for sale; all the homes are relatively the same, yet they are priced from $299k - $425k. Also, when someone lowers their price I then compare that price to other homes of the same price, all of a sudden I'm wondering why the others that are smaller or aren't in as good shape haven't lowered the price to compensate.

So, I wait for some stabalization in the market. Mortgage rates don't matter, .5 to 1 percent change in rates matter little when I'm watching 20% price discounts.

Mauro2007-
Your reply was SPAM, so it was removed. Please take part in the conversation rather than pitching your product. If you want to pitch your product, do it on your profile.

Profile picture for Alan May
woo hoo... zillow does have teeth!!

thanx drew!

Sleeping, what kind of "stabilization in the market" are you waiting for? People who can't afford to stay in their homes will go into foreclosure which will drive down the property values in the neighborhood while that property languishes until the bank/lender can find a buyer. My sense is that too much of that may cause people to shy away from a particular neighborhood if there is too much bank-owned property in it. I don't want that in MY neighborhood. I'd rather try to get a good, decent buyer to come in and purchase what would in essence be for "a good deal" and retain the overall value of the neighborhood.
The kind of thing you are talking about is a spiraling out of control, and that is not good for anyone as far as I can see. While you might ultimately get a great discount, you get it in a neighborhood that gets tainted by too much turnover. Is that really better for you in the long run?

Profile picture for Sleeping
sas912,

I'm not sure what a good deal is, that's the point. Using the classic method of buying a home, I'm looking at 25%-28% of my gross pay going to mortgage and taxes. I make well above the avg. household income in my area and can still not find a home that will house a family of 4 and still let me save for 2 college educations and put food on the table. I think I answered my own question about what I think a 'good deal' contains. If I could find a single house that is 2+ baths, 3BR, 1500-2000 sq. ft. that is priced correctly, I'd buy it.

SBB not sure were you home is.. but got a questions..
1-did you have a professioal CMA done
2- how are you advertising?
3- Is the house in Showing order..

the list could go on and on. and there is one thing that any agent will tell you that there are 3 things why a home dose not sell or get any showings, Price, Location, and condition. if it is not the location, or the condition then..... you know.. also.. I am not saying that this is true becaus you are a FSBO. but.. really who knows about your house??? dose the agent or agents who sold a house 3, 6 or even 9 mths ago know your house is for sale? has the local agents come into tour your home? or how about the agent who has a home listed in your area, dose he/she know about your home?
the reason why I ask this is becaus this is one of the 1000 things a agent will do for you.. why you relax... and ejoy life..
Good Luck

Profile picture for SBB
  • SBB
  • Contributions:19
Reply to Anita and others
I am willing to show the house at all times. However, there are times (3pm to 7pm) when my handicapped son and a caregiver will be there. But so far I have not even gotten a request to show when they were there so we could say, give us 20 minutes and we'll be gone.

The listing agent gave me a stack of photocopies of comps in our ZIP code and the next town going back over last year. Based on that, our price per square foot is a steal for our location and amenities. We are now under $100 per Sq Ft. - the only house our size that low in our ZIP code.

We have the house on zillow, on the realtor's web site & realtor.com, yard signs (front and rear) and that's about it. Web sites have good photos in the listings. I have asked for virtual tour and print ads, but not done yet.
What else do you suggest? Open houses do not sell in our market.

House is de-cluttered to the point where it looks generic, except for a few small areas where my handicapped son's equipment has to stay out. Maintenance is totally done, as my husband is an engineer. Again, we have only had 2 couples thru the front door, so staging the interior would not seem to be the issue.

Couple who refused to go in when at the front curb said they did not like blue houses. Ours is blue with white trim. I know we have had other drive-bys who did not come in, because we are on a dead-end street, so I can see people slow down, go by and then come back.

Local agents have seen our house as we had an agents open house. Planning another one soon. We are on the MLS as a featured home. We are not a FSBO.

We are walking distance from a major medical center, in a fine school district and adjacent to a town park. We are offering a home warranty to help us compete with new construction. Right now our front yard has 20 feet of blooming English lavender. What more can I do for curb appeal to get people inside?

Sorry this is so long.

Profile picture for SBB
  • SBB
  • Contributions:19
PS from SBB
Forgot these points.
We are located in central PA.
We increased the commission - still no showings.
We are now about to offer a cash bonus to the selling agent. Anyone have experience with that?

SBB,

I would give incentives to the buyer. They decide on the house not their realtor. The best thing you can do is get as much market exposure as possibly. It only takes 1 person to buy your house.

I and many others understand your frustration. The biggest problem is there just are not a lot of buyers out there right now and there are A LOT of homes available. Be strong and hope!

Profile picture for Renau
One of the most useful resources you can check out is realtor.com.

Why am I under the impression that Renau works for Realtor.com? I am a member of Realtor.com, but having a client's house on every site you can is only going to give it more exposure.

Profile picture for Alan May
Yeah... I'm getting that impression, too, marci...

Almay, thank you for changing your picture LOL

Renau I believe may be spamming us.

One of my best tools is a little sign rider that says "Seller Will Help You Buy This Home!"

I get a ton of calls off of it, and it normally is just my sellers offering to pay some closing costs with an acceptable offer.

However, it makes the phone rings, and you get the chance to prequalify some possble buyers for the home.

Great idea Randy. I'm going to have to steal that idea.

Randy, I like that.

I and other agents have had success with putting "Buy this home for $500 down" signs in the yard and the info for the loan officer that has the info.

"SOLD" sign
Profile picture for Deirdre Lohan Conway  GRI
Latest reply by Deirdre Lohan Conway GRI
1 day ago | 9 answers
Staging a home to sell
Profile picture for Jason Sweet
Latest reply by Jason Sweet
Seller Paying Closing Costs
Profile picture for Lluvia Martinez
Latest reply by Lluvia Martinez
Why has no one considered a class action suit against Zillow
Latest reply by Pasadenan
September 05 | 37 answers
Going from a 3 bath house to a 2.5 bath house. Will it hurt my resale value?
Profile picture for Gerald  Feenstra
Latest reply by Gerald Feenstra
September 02 | 4 answers