Profile picture for Dunes ..

TRULIA/ZILLOW HAVE REALLY DONE IT NOW!!!

• April 16 2012 - US
  • 1

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Realtors® really need to learn how to NOT syndicate their listings if they don't want them syndicated.  Zillow doesn't "scrape" anything, they only post what is SENT to them.

And Realtors® also need to learn how to set up their syndications properly so that Rentals indicate they are Rentals and not posted as "for sale".

Yes, we've seen hundreds of posts from Realtors® over the past 6 years about why the Realtor's® incompetence was some how the "fault" of a media source they chose to publish in.

I'm sure they must have complained just as much about those printed books that one picks up for free at supermarkets and fast food locations.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Thanks for sharing your opinion

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
well looking through the comments there is a response from BradA at zillow reaching out to her.  Perhaps she contacted them and got some clarification.  Her blog mentioned that she checked just now and they were both still listed.   However, it does not look listed to me, perhaps this is another example of zestimate listings being confused with for sale listings.

It is bothersome that someone with title of Senior Vice President isn't clear on how their feeds work and hopefully she'll get some help with that.   She mentions many issues, and the issues that she has accurately described get lost in all of the other misunderstandings which is unfortunate.  She clearly has frustration with zestimates and seems to dislike the listing history showing but those points are buried.  Perhaps the point was to get readers to go look up her home??
don't know.

I reread her article several times, and must be dense today.   Her points are garbled in a poorly written blog post.      I suspect that she is (as Connie mentioned) confusing Zestimates with asking prices, and Trulia's estimates as asking prices.  But, her writing style leaves far too much reading between the lines to know for sure. 

My humble opinion is that her blog post points more to her lack of understanding and lack of technical savy than anything else.  If I were with her professional title, I'd be embarrassed to have it remain for the public to read.

Profile picture for hpvanc
I guess I have to agree with Wetdawgs and Connie, I read her blog post, but still don't understand much of what she is saying.  It is pretty clear she dislikes having information she can't directly control out on the internet, that she had a rental listing picked up as a for sale listing by Trulia and maybe Zillow, and she received either a lowball offer or an had an offer that fell out of contract and blames the real estate websites for it. 

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Thank you for sharing your opinions

She's lucky they didn't see the price on Trulia. They've got her home value listed for HALF of Zillow's Zestimate.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
well that whole thing is just interesting.  I took the time to read the comments (which made it easy to go back and forth now).    There are some good comments with valid complaints and there is a lot of mis-information shared around as if it were fact.   What I learned from this experience is that BradA is on AR and his responses looked professional to me. 

There appear to be many agents that think both Z & T go "get" listings rather than a syndicated feed supplies the info to them.  Most of us find a lot of disagreement with zestimates, and some are more passionate about it than others.  That's about it. I'm not sure what else we were supposed to gain from seeing the thread.  The foreclosure listing is barely mentioned in the comments, that is a topic that could use more dicussion here as it is frustrating that zillow allows foreclosure.com to do that.  I personally don't think those should be listed until they are confirmed as a foreclosure and on the market with an address. (and i am not sure it really needs to say "foreclosure").

Profile picture for Dunes ..
I posted it so I'd Gain something...it's how I roll

Actually it's as simple as
"A Featured ActiveRain Blog I thought some might find interesting"..

If a person doesn't that's cool

But I learned

1. "Realtors® really need to learn how to......"

2. "And Realtors® also need to learn how to....."

;)

Hi - Brad from Zillow here. There is information and comments out on the web by some folks that simple is incorrect, inaccurate, and false. 

I teach classes for FREE at ZillowAcademy.com that help educate and support agents on how to use sites like Zillow, Youtube, FaceBook, LinkedIN, Pinterest, Google etc. and other services and online tools to help them grow and build business.

For those interested, I hope you'll stop by and take advantage of this FREE service and support system Zillow has put in place for the entire Real Estate Industry.  Did I mention this was all available for free?  Take a look at your profile page on Zillow and click on the Agent Hub for more details.  Thanks.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Thank you for sharing your Ad

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

since I commented on the comments, I should have pointed out the informative response by the Prudential person too, it was long and I'm not navigating back over to see what her title or name was, but she was clearly some higher up person with the whole Prudential thing that explained they did the feeds and why and so on.  thinking about big franchises, sometimes information about all that they do for the agents doesn't get communicated down to the people in the trenches

Brad...that's good to know

@Tug of War

BTW... This here is simply and commonly known as a link, it is in no way shape or form plagiarism or copyright infringement.  This is a great example of incorrect information and assumptions being made by individuals who just might not know any better.

But we are here to help, and that's why Zillow Academy is there to help educate RE professionals so they'll know the difference between a link, and a "stolen post!"  We do listen, and we do care.

I'm here and Happy to help if anyone has any questions or needs any assistance or clarification.  Brad :)

Not to worry Tugs - I have been taking copious notes regarding what I, as a realtor, need to  "know", learn.......and understand". 

I do undertsand that my company (a Prudential franchise with close to 600 agents) doesn't ask me where I want my listings fed.(or using a big word - "syndicated") ..........they believe the most internet exposure, the better for our sellers, so our listings are al over the place.

Maybe the time is approaching when those " automatic feeds" will be further evaluated

I haven't done a scientific study.....or even a Debbie study, but I doubt the majority of the almost 600 agents  even know what a zestimate is............or have  never even visited this site....or trulia, either, for that matter.
Shocking, isn't it?

Profile picture for Dunes ..
"incorrect information and assumptions being made by individuals who just might not know any better.

Yep..I see how on top of that Zillow is in the Forum

Confused. Don't "people from Zillow" normally have a "Zillow" tag?

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Just wondering why Brad is posting with a "Premier Agent" tag instead of a "Zillow" tag since he is a Zillow staff person...  It seems as if he is helping to add to the confusion by using the wrong tag.

do you think Brad, as a zillow rep,  gets a discount to be a premier agent???
I hope so.

:)

Profile picture for Dunes ..

You know you're serious when you're taking "Copious Notes" ;)

"know", learn.......and understand"....I don't worry about the Petty stuff

Good morning All -

Sorry for the confusion by using my "Zillow Academy Training Profile" to comment here.  I normally just use this training profile to demonstrate Zillow's features and benefits to members including the Premier Agent program.  I was still logged in from yesterdays training webinar.

Using this profile also allows me to support and share with other members ALL the capabilities on the site and create tutorials, videos, screen shots etc. without compromising other members data, clients and personal information when demonstrating or showing examples or "how-to's".  My apologies for confusing anyone.

My Zillow employee profile is http://zillow.com/profile/BradAndersohn

No matter which Brad Andersohn you find, they're both here and available to help if needed.  :-))

Profile picture for Dunes ..

Zillow Academy........
Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy.......Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy.........Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy features and benefits to members including the Premier Agent program
Zillow Academy.......Zillow Academy.......Zillow Academy....Zillow Academy features and benefits to members including the Premier Agent program
Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy.......Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy.........Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy features and benefits to members including the Premier Agent program
Zillow Academy.......Zillow Academy.......Zillow Academy....Zillow Academy
Zillow AcademyZillow Academy........Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy.......Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy.........Zillow Academy........Zillow Academy features and benefits to members including the Premier Agent program

lol Just be careful that the two Brad's don't go the way of Mike and Ike. That would be terrible.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Appreciate the offer and participation and any discussion ...I really do
Don't appreciate the running Ad...I really don't

Sunnyview - Haha~ I'll stick with the way of "Good and Plenty!" ;)

The offer to help still stands!!  An "ad" was not or ever the intention, my apologies to anyone who may have felt that I was trying to advertise as opposed to just provide an avenue of support and training here.  :-)

Profile picture for Dunes ..
I felt it..and apology accepted

Brad - Thanks for the information. We're pleased that you're providing a message of value.

Having said that, we're not so pleased with that algorithm that produces bad estimates for the public. This is especially true when dealing with luxury homes or unique areas of real estate, example historic homes. An example of a luxury home that is in a planned subdivision that has Townhomes, Patio homes, semi-custom homes, and luxury homes. The algorithm shows the luxury home value as $700+K in value when the real value is $1.7 million in value. The problems with this scenario is too many to enumerate.

It just seems like people who can afford a 1.7 million dollar home would not take financial advice from a marketing company who had never seen the home, been in the home, or even had a human being looking at the numbers. It just seems like they would be more informed than that.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
I guessing everyone's not as informed as us RE savvy people who spend a lot of time at Zillow..

1. 1
  2. 2