Taxes

Can someone tell me what the City tax situation is in the Buffalo area and vicinities? I am looking to relocate and can't get a handle if there is a City income tax in the area. I live in Ohio currently and pay City income tax where I work then half of the taxes to the City I live. Are all the local taxes just roped into property tax?
  • January 16 2011 - Amherst
  • 0

Best Answer

Lets see if this disappears again :p

In western NY there is not a city income tax. Most of the local taxes will be paid through the property tax. The individual towns will bill for water/sewage and some for garbage collection monthly or quarterly.

If you are looking at a specific property you can call the town hall to find out what the "true taxes" are. Lisings often show estimated taxes based on what the current owner pays but they may qualify for discounts that you may not. If you are working with an agent they can get the true taxes for you

twice now my answer has disappeared when I click sbmit, I think Zillow hates me LOL

A renter in NY does not pay property tax, that is the responsibility of the property owner.

A property owner's income has nothing to do with the property tax. Property tax is set by the Town's Assessor and can vary widely from town to town and property to property so if buying a property it is important to find out what the real tax is before submitting an offer to buy.

The taxes are based on the value of the unimproved land and any improvements made to it such as if you were to purchase a home that does not have a deck and added one your property taxes would likely go up a little when the property is reassessed.

Thanks Gerald! The answer I was exactly looking for. Wish one of the townships websites would just say that.

One additional question, does the final tax $ contingent on income or is it all based on property? Does this mean to people who rent don't pay any local property tax?