Telemarketers

Hi All,

Telemarketers have been calling me trying to sell products and services on my cellphone. I have been asked to be removed from the calling list but the calls keep coming. My number is on the national "Don't Call List" but they are contacting me through Zillow. . I have a "block calls" app but I can't block them because I don't want to block the Zillow number.

Have other experienced this?
If so, how did you guys solve this problem?

Thuan

December 20 2011 - US

I get some but can't see how to avoid it.  I just quickly interrupt: " Excuse me m'am or sir, I'm in the middle of something right now but I don't wish to purchase your product....thank you."  Then hit "end call."   They don't seem to call back.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Kinda demeaning and an annoyance being treated like/considered a Lead, isn't it?

I am meaner to domestic phone terrorists than the rest here are it seems. If I am bothered not wanting to be I ask for their phone number in case we are disconnected. I have bad service that sometimes fails. ;)

After getting their number ask for the business and persons name. Make a note of the time and date. Then tell the person they are using your most fantastic and expensive answering service. If they wish to continue using your service any future calls will be charged $5,000 each to answer the phone and listen to that company again. Then explain if they do not wish to use your service they can easily opt out by not calling again. Hang up when done.

This just explained a business relationship they can choose to enter into or not. If they do call back keep a log of who called at what time. You then legally can go to court to collect the fee for the service you have provided.

You have a legal right to operate any business you wish. You can determine prices for any service you provide. If you provide a phone and person to answer the phone you can charge what you wish for that service.

I have done this. It stopped the unwanted calls cold when nothing else would.

You can also get their business information and go to small claims court for damages and probably contact the do not call list people to share a violation.

Profile picture for blue screen died
I've wanted to use Dan's approach, but it is just too much work to keep track of unwanted phone callers, and most are using auto-dialers so have no clue what the call back number is.

I just tell them "I'm sorry, you have the wrong number", and then hang up on them.

Of course telemarketers never believe they ever could have the "wrong number", but if they called me, it was the "wrong number".

I mostly get SEO salesmen calling.  They assume that if you advertise here you are a good potential target for them.  I used to listen politely for a second and say no thanks.  Then later I would explain my take on their product- once in a while one is dumb enough to get biligerant with me and imply that I'm ignorant for not seeing the value of their product- which is quite a funny sales tactic.

Now I just say.-I'm doing us both a favor, the quicker you leave me alone the quicker you can bother the next person.  OK? if they try to say anything other than OK, I either hang up or suggest I'll consider it when we meet to list their house.

Connie, once I got a call from Time selling some video. I said to the telemarketer that I might but first I had to sell a car and asked if they would be interested in buying that car. I went on to describe the car and everything.

If I know a salesman is following a script I throw them off topic. If they were selling a septic tank chemical (really happened) to keep it clean I asked what good is that for an outhouse.

I went to a sales pitch (free food) and when the salesman said this is only the price of coffee a day for the family I shouted loud "Not if the family does not drink coffee (this fall). It confused the salesman who had to get his train of thought back on the rail.

I had one person trying to sell me car breakdown insurance. The guy did not understand that after a long time driving I know what it costs to keep a vehicle going. He even went so far as to say that after I had an engine and transmission replaced they could go again soon. Then he admitted that the warranty did not cover the things I wanted. Shocks, front end parts, alignments, brakes, and tires. I asked him what good it was if it covered nothing I needed it for.

I got a call from someone offering me an investment opportunity. I replied saying the only risk I took with my money was putting it into a bank hoping they would repay me. He hung up after that statement. I have no idea what kind of investment opportunity it was.

those are pretty good.

Profile picture for jeanyh
Hi Thuan,

I apologize that you are receiving those calls.  It is against our terms of use for people to contact our users for commercial purposes.  Since you are a Premier Agent, your phone calls are tracked, so if it is anyone in your list of tracked calls, we will gladly contact them and request that they stop. 

I will look into this for you and email you with updates.

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to help you.  Thank you!

Jeany

Profile picture for blue screen died
"I mostly get SEO salesmen calling" -

I've been getting a lot of "business" calls from a Google auto-dialer recording.  There appears to be no way to get off of Google's telemarketing phone list.  It is extremely annoying.  The auto-message is even customized to make one believe it is a real person, but you can't interrupt it, so it is obviously only a computer generated message.

Really, I don't care what position my company has on Google rankings; I don't want business contact from random consumers over the internet.  The business is too specialized and localized for that to be of any benefit.  And I don't believe in business advertisement in the first place, thus it would go against the business plan to accept their offer.

Premier Agent Websites: Have a Question?
Profile picture for notarybob
Latest reply by notarybob
September 19 | 112 answers
Sending listing reports to sellers
Latest reply by The Hishmeh Team
July 31 | 26 answers
Simple ideas every realtor and other professionals on zillow should follow to get a great reputation
Profile picture for Glenn McDonald
Latest reply by Glenn McDonald
July 26 | 73 answers
Fellow Realtors/ Attorneys *Please be Aware of this Email Fraud Scam from China*
Profile picture for Lanette Branch
Latest reply by Lanette Branch
  • Posted by Ken Mischitelli
  • In Agents
HomePath Mortgage - Which lender has the best rates?
Profile picture for gator70
Latest reply by gator70
September 22 | 9 answers
  • Posted by rflow
  • In Lenders

Sign in with Google