Profile picture for itis_ram

Telephone wiring

Hi -

I have only one telphone outlet - in the master bedroom. I would like to ideally have the wiring in my study room, which is two rooms away from the master bedroom. How do i accomplish that ? If you have good do-it-yourself advise, pls post here or if you know someone I can use (in Fremont, CA), pls provide contact information. My house is a single-level Single-family home and it has attic and I think the telephone wire can be run through that ... Any suggestions ?
  • July 16 2007 - US
  • 0

You can either split the line at your existing telephone jack or your main telephone box installed by your phone company. You'll have to run a new wire to the study - the easiest way to do it is probably on the outside of your house, but the attic or crawl space are also possibilities if they are accessible.

One thing to think about is whether you actually need a phone outlet in your study room at all. Running wire in existing construction can be a slow, arduous process, and if you can avoid it altogether you'll be much happier. Do you need a phone in the study room? There are lots of multi-handset cordless phone systems with a base station that plugs into a single outlet. Do you need dial-up internet access? I'm pretty sure they make wireless modems that can transmit the signal to the phone jack in your bedroom. You might decide that it's still best to run a new line to your study, but there may be other options. Good luck!

Profile picture for itis_ram
Thanks Andy and Drew.

I do want to run the wire (although I know it is arduous) because my bedroom is a clutter of wires with wireless modem, vonage, dsl modem, etc. I really want to take all that out and put them in the study.

BTW, I spotted a wire coming from attic in the adjoining room and think it is a telephone wire which I can pull into the study room but I am not sure. It is white in color and looks like a telephone wire .. how can i really tell ? Also, how do I split this wire and extend it into the next room ?

Profile picture for DaveMiura
If you have a crawl space it is usually easer to rout the wires there. Depending on how your wall's are constructed you may have a better chance to drill a hole through the bottom plate of the wall or up through the floor. Keep in mind that electrical lines may be running though the walls. Usually electrical runs in the wall about 22" above the floor but check before doing any drilling.

Telephone wire is generally 4 22/24 gauge wires. Each wire usually has insulation with a color coding. Your local hardware store should have simple screw terminal outlets with a phone jack.

This may be useful:
http://www.askthebuilder.com/B155_Telephone_Wiring_Tips.shtml