Tenants in Common vs Joint Tenancy

A friend and I purchased a house six years ago and the mortgage contract  sets up our legal relationship as tenants in common- 50 50 responsibility etc. I put in all of the down payment.( lets not even discuss what the house is valued at now) I believe we should actually be joint tenants, where each of us owns a percentage, based on the substantial downpayment I made and that I put in more toward the monthly bills. What do I have to do to buy her out of the 50 50 contract and refile the papers of ownership?
ThanksJudtke
  • June 22 2012 - Paradise
  • 0

You would have to make a deal with your friend and they would have to be willing to change their ownership percentage. I would ask the attorneys on avvo what papers to file, but the bigger question is whether or not your friend will step up and reduce their ownership without compensation.