Profile picture for HouseGrl

The Grass Isn't Always Greener on the Other Side of the Fence

Hello!  I have three big dogs that love to run around in the backyard.  Unfortunately they have completely wrecked havoc on a once very nice lawn.   We live in Maryland, does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of grass we can put down that would be more trample resistant?  And as an FYI, we tried that Perfect Patch stuff they sell on TV late at night, and it did NOTHING! 

• December 27 2007 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for blacroix

3 large dogs?  Astroturf.

Profile picture for HouseGrl

Thanks.  I guess it worked on the Brady Bunch, but I will have a hard time selling that to the HOA! LOL

Profile picture for lucydjacobs

Dwarf mondo grass, if it does OK up there in your climate zone. A little pricey, but you could make some areas the green areas, and not use it everywhere.

I also have three dogs. We are using dwarf mondo sections, grassy sections and putting in a close-to-the-ground inexpensive mini-deck (2 inches above ground) for them to sit on so. This is so they aren't tormented by fire ants should they show up, underground wasps and such in the summertime, and so they won't have to sit in cold damp ground and mud when it's cooler. A separate section will have the weed tarp cover, topped by shredded cedar. They could sit there, and we could rake it up neatly if guests are arriving. That cedar part might not work as well as I hope and be too messy. The dogs can go into our garage through a pet door. In summer, we have giant fans. In winter, a heater, not that we've had much of a winter so far.

Housegrl,

There is some type of new artificial grass that is supposed to be dog proof. I have seen it on HGTV on the shows dealing with redoing peoples' yards. My solution is that I just periodically resod (I have two large 80 and 96 lb rescues and a small yard).

Profile picture for lucydjacobs

Dog proof grass! cool.

My labra-whatever learned to open the botton cabinet where we keep the cat food and dry food. The dog dragged an entire bag of dry catfood into the back yard and ate the whole bag. She took the box of cat-food pouches, and ate the 12 individual servings in each pouch.

I expect to see doggie-rhea in the yard tomorrow. Definitely need a ground cover that I could still hose down!

Profile picture for HouseGrl

Thank you!  I am going to try some of these things this spring.  Except the part about the dog gaining access to the cat food!  That has happened to us in the past too, now we keep all the cat stuff (including the litter boxes) on the lower level of the house to which the dogs do not have access!

Bingeing dogs...LOL

Profile picture for ArchMedia

artificial grass! there's some that look REALLY realistic. The HOA wouldn't have a problem with it especially if it's just for the backyard. it might seem a tad pricey up front, but in the long run it's cheaper then trial and error on real lawn that would just get trampled over and over...

Profile picture for tyrell92

Just put down tall fescue. This grass stands up to anything. Dont believe me, check my pictures.

Profile picture for EnvyLawn
Some artificial turf is made with 100% nylon, which should be able to stand up to the activity of your dogs' weight. The fibers are soft enough for their foot pads and will not irritate them with seasonal allergies. Their nails will have a harder time deconstructing the nylon fibers like their nails in real sod will.