Profile picture for fb1711697997

The Phelt Group with Remax Associates Overcharges

I recently ended a lease with the Phelt Group, managed/owned by Herman Phelt and was extremely over charged in cleaning fees upon moving out. I had the home professionally cleaned prior to turning in the keys. When I received my deposit back 21 days later it included a deduction for $275 for "House Cleaning"! I called Herman immediately and asked them what was it in the home that was left dirty, to which he replied the stove was dirty and a ceiling fan was dirty (dusty). The question I have is-what real estate company in their right mind would pay $275 for someone to clean a stove and to dust a ceiling fan? I'm in the military, consequently, I'm accustomed to rigerious home inspections while moving out of the three homes I've lived in, on base, in the last 7 years of service. I don't believe I would over look something like that! Regardless, the bottom line is I would like my cleaning fee back or the majority of it due to not believing it costs $275 to clean an oven and ceiling fan!

December 21 2012 - Sierra Springs

That fee amount is way above customary. How long can it take to clean? At what hourly rate? Ask for an invoice that they paid. If your active duty, use your free legal resources.

First off, thank you for your service to our country!

Secondly, you seem way to polite. You say your deposit was returned 21 days later. Was that a security deposit? A security deposit is to protect the landlord against excessive wear and tear, excessive cleaning and damage to the property. What you describe is normal living and you sound like you left the home very clean.

With a receipt from the cleaning company that you paid and pictures you took (hopefully), you should have a good case in small claims court. If you're not in the area, hand it over to an attorney to sue in your behalf. Even if the attorney takes 1/2 or 1/3 it's still better than giving your money away. Perhaps an attorney can get more from those b******s in a law suit.

Sorry for your poor experience.    Everyone has different standards of what clean means so that is why you ALWAYS want to do a final walk-through with the property management company before you move out.  Same thing is done upon moving in, do a walk-through.

I agree with Jim, pictures speak for themselves or even better take a video.

I know that this is too late for you but hopefully will be usefull for anyone else reading this looking to rent.

Ordinarily I would say to contact the broker but since the company is managed by the owner, you may want to file a complaint with the Texas Real Estate Commission TREC if you can't resolve this amicably.

http://www.trec.texas.gov/complaintsconsumer/default.asp

Good luck,

Naima

Profile picture for JosePueblo
That guy has a bad reputation already... My Realtor told me when he sees his houses come up for rental he skips on them... 

Thanks for the heads up.  We are about to move out of one os his properties and I will make sure we clean the place from top to bottom and take lots of pictures.

I have only had a few interactions with Mr Phelt and that is a few too many.  He is unprofessional and has a temper.  

Avoid this man and his properties like the plague.

Latest reply by user947308

1. 722 Bobcat Crk, San Antonio, TX Home For Sale
    722 Bobcat Crk, San Antonio, TX 78251

2. 10615 Cat Mtn, San Antonio, TX Home For Sale
    10615 Cat Mtn, San Antonio, TX 78251

3. 542 Limestone Flt, San Antonio, TX Home For Sale
    542 Limestone Flt, San Antonio, TX 78251