Profile picture for bcclayt

The best ways to increase the value of home? Mature tree, curb appeal, or decks?

I'm not looking to sell soon. I am looking for long term things I should be doing now. I'm planting trees and trying to perfect the lawn if that is possible. I'm adding colors to my all white home like window shutters. I built a deck. Driveway is cracked. Not sure when I should have it redone. I don't want it to crack again. 

August 21 2013 - Tooele

You are wise to look at your home as a long term investment. There are improvements that add value to your home and improvements we call " Life Style choices" that enhance your personal living experience in the home.
  One tip on determining which category an improvement falls under is to ask yourself would I do this if I had to sell tomorrow....for example " If I update the kitchen will it help me sell tomorrow and will I get my investment back in purchase price?" Generally in every market that answer is yes provided the update is appealing.
" Should I add a pool?" In some markets that can actually be a negative and you may get zero return on your investment but hours and hours of family fun. That is a lifestyle choice.
  A professional realtor can tell you what brings the best return on investment in a given market area. In the Louisville, Kentucky,area, wise choices in landscaping improvements are one the few things that usually bring 100% return on investment. Kitchens are about 85% in our market. The National Association of Realtors publishes an annual report with the return on investment in several key markets. A local Realtor can preview your home and give you tips. Professional agents are in for the long haul and are happy to give you tips over the years, so that when the time comes,and you are ready to sell they will get your business and have an attractive listing.

I agree with Joseph.  Look inside first.  Kitchen, baths, floor treatments, energy efficient windows.  Fix the driveway before you sell.

As long as your kitchen and bath(s) are already updated, then the outside a great idea.
I have been in a house search (looking for a specific property) and have saw one updated kitchen out of 12 (badly dated ones)
Bad layouts and unfinished corresponding finish pcs., that just isn't there.

Plastic showers and surrounds in the baths... it may just be me cause I renovate bathrooms an kitchens but plastic in bathrooms look bad and cheap ... when I see them I see complete tearout even if they were done yesterday.
It amazes me why homeowners do this on a renovation...go the extra mile.
Plastic surrounds, plastic doors, plastic has been played out when it comes to bathroom renovations, along with gold anything.
A renovation is your chance to make it better from builder grade or dated materials, lots of houses see these renovations 2 maybe 3 in a lifetime...do them correctly...please.
-Joseph-

Mature trees are a wonderful asset that take time to grow. Therefore, if one is considering a first step plant trees so they can mature beautifully. Plant them far enough from the house and far enough from lot lines and streets that you don't create problem in the future. Plan for growth, not the size of the baby tree. How long does it take to build a deck? How long to grow a mature tree? How long does

The curb appeal is one of the biggest things that a seller can do to attract buyers. It's generally the first thing they see online and if that doesn't catch their attention they won't even bother clicking on the listing. It sounds like what you are doing is right along those lines. I would caution though, I've seen some sellers that will fight and fight to bring up the value of their home and end up spending far more to bring up the value then the upgrades are worth. Another thought is Tooele is having a hard time bring up the value of their properties. And again with the city deciding to raise the property taxes by about 82%, interest in moving out there will dwindle. You may consider finding a balance.