The sold listings on zillow never match my realtors comps report. Why dont thse match up?

I try to use the Sold Comps when looking at properties.  I see a bunch of solds but when I go to my realtor, his list never matches what Zillow said was sold.  Where is Zillow getting their data?
  • November 09 2012 - Duluth
  • 0

Zillow and other public sites collect data from multiple sources, a big part is public records. If they collect every transfer, most will be non arms length and non sales, worthless for use as comps.

Have your agent do their job - why not just tell them which homes you would like them to comp and let them do it. If they are incapable, find another agent.

To be perfectly honest I run in to the same problem as a Realtor. When I compile a list of comps it usually involves a lot more than simply entering in the size of the home and the amount of beds and baths. Zillow simply can not factor in objective information and because of that there seems to be something lost in the translation when it comes to the final comps. When it comes to comps and determining your homes value there really is no substitute or online system that can match the skills a knowledgeable local realtor can add to the equation.

Profile picture for Bentley Advisors
Your Realtor is likely using different parameters to pull more accurate comparables vs. Zillow. Whereas Zillow might use a 2 mile radius as you indicated, your Realtor might look in a tighter ring or be searching for a more similar comp in terms of bed/bath count or sq footage or same neighborhood, etc.

Thanks Pat. I just do not understand how Zillow will show 20+ properties sold within a 2 mile radius and it is supposedly public record, when the realtor MLS will show 3 or 4 and then (if I am lucky) 1 will show up on the Zillow listing.  It makes it difficult for me to use Zillow at all...

Zillow readily admits that its zestimates are merely estimates based upon public records.  Your Realtor's comps would be more accurate for your needs if you are listing and/or buying a property.