Profile picture for Connie Klemme

There's always interesting things to see when out showing property....

Sometimes we just get to see some interesting things.  There are things that make you laugh and things that make you scratch your head.  But being a Realtor, not having a daily routine of driving to exactly the same place, we certainly have the opportunity to see them more often than most people.
Here's one I saw just a few days ago! 

I bet some of you have even better stories and pics!
  • December 01 2011 - Oklahoma City
  • 1

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

this one as really cool!  almost approached the owner to ask who did this but...no time.

The "no tresspissing" (whatever that may be) is a bit scary!   The other is much friendlier.   I have vivid images of the insides of some of the houses I visited as a buyer, but nothing outside. 

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
i was thinking i should have put the lions first.  they are friendly and cool.  that trailer was scary.  we were lost.  the dirving directions AND GPS were wrong.   this was a dead end road.
i can't help but wonder if it is for other realtors there following the bad instructions???  wasn't interested in stopping to ask that either!

One topic of discussion at times is some towns have a sign that says welcome to (town name) and on the other side of the sign it says "come back soon.  Some towns apparently are very small.

My two favorites to date are...

1) A sex swing (really, you can't put it away or pretend it's a plant holder?)

2) A house that had orange outlets. I crawled under the home to discover that the whole place had been wired with extension cords.

Profile picture for PukonYukon

ha ha- at least they didn't forget you were coming and were demonstrating how it works.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

I have a new favorite.
seller keeps his beer in the master bedroom closet in the wall.  there is sheet rock panel that opens and the beer is stored in the wall.  an on the side of the shoe shelf is a mounted opener for bottles.
but...I don't see how it's kept cold.

it was one of those...scratch your head and wonder why it's there moments.  

The seller is a closet drinker?

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
yes...I am dying to call and ask about it.
the master closet is huge, so you walk into it to look.  and there on the wall are hinges and a handle to open a section of sheetrock and a makeshift shelf with beer on it. 
and as you turn to go back out you see at eye level a bottle opener mounted on the built in shelves.

the bedrooms indicate small children so perhaps this is just to not have it in the fridge visible to little people or little people's friends??  there wasn't excessive amounts of it....there wasn't an indication that this was necessarily "hidden" from a spouse, it was plain sight, eye level, very noticable but in the closet wall  (wall between master bath and closet).

wish I had take a pic but that seemed wrong.  (no permission to do it and so on...not something you see passing by).

I don't think I will and ask.  I suspect the real story is far less interesting than my assumptions.  It made for an entertaining showing.  can't say I remember what the living room looks like and if there is a fireplace etc. (distracting feature for sure!) so there might be a lesson about staging on this one.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"...it was one of those...scratch your head and wonder why it's there moments" -

I'm assuming it is one of those "don't set a bad example for others in the household" things... but then one still needs to ask how the bottles get removed from the house without being seen.

And of course one might even ask if it really is "beer", or if that was just used for showings?  Perhaps the home owner experienced prohibition in the past and just wanted to be prepared when it comes back again?

For the "cooler"; a lot of older homes had a natural cooler that had vent openings in the basement and on the roof, and natural convection would bring the cold air up and exhaust the heat out the top.  Very effective and low cost.  But normally that cooler was in the kitchen and not for beer.  But if one doesn't have a "wine cellar", I can see building such a thing into the wall of a private room that is less likely to be raided or vandalized.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
I am inclined to agree that it's a don't set a bad example for others in the household. 

either way...it was funny to find.  probably less funny to read and certainly doesn't compare to Tiffany's findings!  :) 

as for sights to see...there is a property I wish I had taken photos of long ago.  it was a just outside city limits, the neighbor had signs all along his fence about it being a free country and where people could put things and what he thought of local government (someone named Sandy)  and he appeared to be purposefully collecting broken cars etc for display at the edge of the road.  I am sure there is an interesting story there.  clearly a protest of something.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"A house that had orange outlets. I crawled under the home to discover that the whole place had been wired with extension cords" -

Was it really "extension cords"?  (SO cable or SJO cable?)

Or perhaps it was just orange Romex?  (Which is available and is an approved building wiring system).

As for "orange outlets", in most hospitals and data processing areas, orange outlets are used to indicated "isolated ground", which does not mean they are not grounded, but it means they have two independent ground connections; one for the box... and one for the devices plugged in.  Both are connected together at the service panel and/or the serving transformer.  The purpose is to keep the noise of motors off of the grounding path for sensitive electronic equipment.

I could see someone putting all isolated grounding outlets in their home if they were running a computer server system for the internet from their home. Otherwise, it seems like a bit of an overkill, unless they just happened to get them free from some kind of salvage or equipment liquidation.

Then there are those that just like designer colors for the outlets; but then I would wonder why they didn't choose lavender instead.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
i was hoping other people would put funny and intersting stuff here if for no other reason than to have a contribution.  thought it would be neat to see some of the unusual things people see/do while out and about.  

however...i guess that requires seeing something, capturing it, spending the time to post it and...not caring that I put a location on this thread.

oh well...guess I will give up the hope.
:)

@Pasa

It was *actually* extension cords. The home was a cabin in a rather rustic setting and it didn't have that many outlets. They were run to an oversized power strip that was tapped into the main line in an equally questionable fashion. From the power strip, the extension cords were help with duct tape, zip ties, and velcro in place to where the "outlets" were. The outlets were rigged with two extension cords per, held together with a space that the plate cover was screwed into and rubber bands to hold it together. I wish I had a camera with me on that outing, I'm afraid my paltry description really doesn't do the wiring justice. I wouldn't have believed if myself if I hadn't seen it when I popped open the crawl space.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
Tiffany...that's definitely a photo worthy thing.   If you ever see it again you need to grab a snapshot and share.   Just remember to turn off the location thing on your camera or cell phone.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Well, that sounds like it is about 3 times more expensive then just buying Romex, a low cost sub panel, and some residential grade receptacles.

@Pasa

I totally agree. My guess is that it probably started out as a cabin with no electricity. The owner at the time had one or two electrical cords in their truck and pulled them out to see if they could get power by tapping an electrical line nearby. After the initial outlet(s) worked, they expanded their system with time. Given that different areas had different things holding them in place (a zip tie on one set of cords, velcro on another), it is very possible it wasn't done at the same time. It was a small cabin with +/-10 plugs.

If done all at once it would have very likely been cheaper. I'm also guessing from the connection to the power source, the person doing it probably got one heck of a zap attaching it as it did not look well done. I would presume their expertise did not include punching down a panel. They had more of a MacGyver meets Sanford and Sons skill set.

I've seen all sorts of crazy remodeling jobs. Really poorly done trim because someone couldn't figure out miter cuts (the entire house was square cut). One of the first homes I previewed for a client had a hole in the roof repaired with cardboard (clearly an efective medium in the Pacific Northwest). In a home I own, the people who lived there before me had done things like nail in screws (really, the sheer force required to do this would be far greater than to just go buy a $2 screwdriver), used everyday kitchen items in repairs (my favorite being a pounded flat split pea can for metal reinforcement), use office grade staples for things that should not be help up by staples, used bendy straws and tape to run a segmet of the fridge water line, etc. Don't even get me started on the myriad of shenanigans I've seen in flips. People do wierd, inappropriate, ecenomically inefficient things all the time.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Well, I've done the "metal can" to extend the life of a rotted out cast iron drain pipe a few times, until I could get to the replacement of the pipe section.  Held by plumbers epoxy and string.  Zip ties would have worked better if I had long enough ones on hand when the repair needed to be made.

Sometimes, things need to be fixed "right now" and there is no time to get to the store.

(On the metal can, use the can-opener to open both the top and bottom, then the tin snips to cut down the side to wrap around the leaking drain pipe).

The problem is generally not the fix to hold it until you can get a better repair in place, it's when the repair was done 20 years ago and the full repair either didn't come or was never planned :)

Connie, the first response from Tiffany sure looks like a Best Answer, I don't think anyone can top that!

I showed a 700 soft condo about 20 years ago, it had a 10X10 plywood crate that was about 6 foot tall constructed right in the middle of the living room. It basically took up the entire room and the entire condo for that matter! As we tried to squeeze around it we noticed it had very bright lights on-on the inside, we then were able to smell it. Smelled like a skunk... get where I am going with this? Yes, a marijuana grow room was built inside the condo. Yes, in a condo that was for sale, yes, a condo that had many people coming in and out all day! And yes, my client was a cop! Some people are not very bright! Certainly not as bright as their grow-lights!

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
ha ha that's funny thanks for sharing!

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
check out these  "world's most expensive homes"

This is a sign posted on the back gate of a house I drove by in St. Petersburg recently. I can't help but wonder what sort of events transpired to warrant posting such a sign.

Profile picture for PukonYukon
that's classic!

Do your clients ever ask you why the seller has decided to sell?

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
:)

I found this link on Curbed.com the other day.

It's twitter comments from agents with 'unusual' encounters when showing homes.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
hmmm...wonder if there was any mercury in the walls of that house?
how funny

Wow, I wonder how much it cost to get that sign made, and can the neighbor sue?

1. 1
  2. 2