Profile picture for MLRLH

There's nothing you can do when you buy a house with issues (rot, leaks, etc), right?

A couple of years ago we bought a house that the owners had painted (interior and exterior). They covered up a lot of rot (siding, windows) and issues (roof leaks).

We're shelling out major cash and our friends all say there's something you can do, but to me it's just Buyers Beware - we didn't know to look for these things. We used our real estate agent's inspector (NEVER do that) and he glossed over everything.

We've had to replace windows and window-areas, had to fix the repair roof leaks 4 times and having to replace areas of rotted siding.

March 14 2010 - Berkleigh

I can personnally relate to your scenario. My wife and I purchased a home in 2005 and the seller "covered up" issues as well. Five years later I have repaired all of the rotten wood, and am on to the finish painting process. Yes it takes a while depending on how extensive your issues are.

If yo are handy, it will not cost you much in materials.

You could always speak with an attorney ( there are many online that offer free consultation).

The one thing I do know is that there is always a project waiting for me!!!

Sandy