Profile picture for maggiecoleman

There were multiple offers on my home, but my agent did not show them all to me.

She just said that the other offers were not as good as the one I accepted, though I accepted it only 24 hours after the home went on the market. Since then, I have now signed an extension on discovery at the request of the buyer agent because the buyer agent couldn't get some paper work straightened out for a stream buffer variance.  The issue was supposed to be settled today, but it has not been - and my agent is not returning calls, texts or emails!
  • March 03 2014 - Brookhaven
  • 3

Profile picture for northwest
 I play by the rules here, I don't self-promote, and I will call for action against licensees.

BTW, wanted to say this statement is appreciated for what it represents...an ethical stance. nice to hear anywhere...thnx.

Profile picture for northwest
it does not take a licensee to make a business decision, but it often takes a licensee to make a worthwhile transaction. when a consumer is informed (with or without great representation), what follows is an outcome comprised of informed common sense, professional counsel, trust & eventual success. tact is part of the art of the transaction; it involves all parties coming to a place of agreement towards a feeling of sound investment, now or later profit, worthwhile commission where appropriate, and fair fees for contributing to the success of the sale.

all i am saying is that the consumers' knowledge point and well-being is part of the picture. the consumer is not necessarily green or stupid..every situation has its' own path. to discount that variability is not condusive to a good transaction or professional reputation.

Well, northwest, thank you for sharing your opinion.

As I stated before, there would have been value in meeting with the broker, reports to disciplinary boards are taken seriously, and punishment of licensees can be severe.

If you don't agree with my answers, I welcome your counter-arguments.

I don't see "lots of" licensees here, so I'll take your word for their being amicable and tackful.

Profile picture for northwest
Snark all you want; you know that I play by the rules here, I don't self-promote, and I will call for action against licensees.

you don't seem to accept the consumer side of the coin. seems like you are discouraging knowledge sharing among the consumer population. this is so confusing...consumers are your business, and the more they understand the process & options after sifting through knowledge references, the better & easier it is for everyone.

personally i think highly of most rea professionals that i have come into contact with. do have a problem when anyone puts down consumer info sharing. and there are many key consumer contributors on this site that offer a lot of worthy info (not me...know em when i see em). it is great to see a mix of info (be it z collective data, advice/opinions, stats, articles/publications, referrals, or whatever) that brings knowledge to the table. 

a lot of good rea/lender people on here seem to be amicable and tackful re working business to fit the consumer. to do otherwise is counter-intuitive to sales. good business is respectful, and adaptive to the role that each party plays in a mutually satisfactory business transaction. 

the original poster has a very legitimate beef. only hope that with the guidance many have provided, she can elevate the issue to the proper authorities...and demand that her consumer rights and protective laws as a seller be addressed immediately.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
;)

Good to hear something I posted actually pleased or helped someone...that's one in a row
Woo Who!

Profile picture for themorrigan20
Thanks, Dunes!  Looks like the voters agree.

BTW, I saw some links you provided some time ago to FHLMC and bank REOs.  Been checking them religiously, TYVM!

I don't know, I think 65% of Definitely Would Use Them Again is pretty good, especially in a marketplace as fragmented as real estate.

There are 478 real estate OFFICES in Seattle, so the idea that 65% of clients are so satisfied that the rest of us can't convince them to switch is pretty impressive to me. I mean, it isn't like a grocery shelf where there's only - what - 15 cola choices or 125 soda choices? This is why so many agents are desperate on these threads "pick me! pick me!"; because they're all fighting for the 35% who are open to using a new agent.

And, what's the percentage of people who were so dismayed by their experience that they would never use a real estate agent again?

BTW, Dunes. Snark all you want; you know that I play by the rules here, I don't self-promote, and I will call for action against licensees.

Hey. They're not my numbers.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
"Dunes posted some link to something that showed that something like 2/3rds of clients thought their agents did a good job; I forgot how many thought they did a bad job - 20% maybe. I'm not going to track that PDF down again."

2/3rds...actually it was 65% would definitely use the same agent/agency again according to the NAR and hardly a statistic/% to brag about imo for any industry.

Should run ads and a PR campaign on that statistic
Woo Who a little over half our clients were so impressed with our Services that they would hire us again and only 1 out of 5 (20%) thought we did a really bad...party time!
Yep those are absolutely impressive numbers for those providing services to those doing what may be the largest financial deal of their lifetime.....

Rock on with the good news!

themorrigan
It's my opinion ya pretty much have at least one Forum Feature figured out ;)

Baiting? Taunting? I don't think you understand that my responses aren't about you, they're about helping the poster find answers to their questions.

I know you've had bad experiences with real estate agents - Dunes posted some link to something that showed that something like 2/3rds of clients thought their agents did a good job; I forgot how many thought they did a bad job - 20% maybe. I'm not going to track that PDF down again.

Well, that's not good enough, and clearly your experience has led you to take a few solid swings here and there. I understand that, but I do not think that you should let your anger get in the way of actually helping people with real problems. I get the monthly disciplinary reports, and I have seen what happens to agents and brokers when complaints are brought against them - this isn't six sigma, but it isn't a good ol' boyzz club, either.

People may ignore me - I can't control that - but please, at least consider the possibility that what you interpret as "ignoring me" may simply be, not disagreeing with me.

And if you disagree with me, have at it. But please - let's both keep the original poster in mind.

Profile picture for themorrigan20
Mack, I'll acknowledge your post this once. 

I've only been on this board a couple weeks and already I've noticed that you seem to enjoy trolling.  I've also noticed that others ignore you.  I understand why.  I'm done with you too.  Spending your days and nights baiting and taunting strangers on a chat board - what a successful, respectable, trustworthy realtor you must be.

One thing it will do, themorrigan, is it will put the broker in the position of choosing whether to put their license on the line to defend this agent, or look for evidence which may damn the agent but protect themselves.

Regardless of your opinion of disciplinary boards, the fact is that they're not especially warm and fuzzy to defendants. State licensing boards routinely revoke and suspend licenses, levy fines, and basically make offenders' lives a living hell. Failure to present offers isn't just an ethics issue, it's a violation of state law, and in addition to whatever punishments the licensing board wishes to inflict upon the broker and the agent, the client can sue for damages as well.

I have no idea why anyone would think that the people who serve these boards want to take time out of their lives to drive to, and sit through, a hearing - just to cover for the agent that made the hearing necessary.

Profile picture for themorrigan20
Can someone explain to me what good a "meeting" with the liar and her boss - who gets a cut of each commission - will do?

She (allegedly) withheld offers.  What makes anyone think she's now going to show them?  Why not do just as agents do with comps: screen, select and filter to show only the ones that lead the client to do what the realtor wants them to do? 

What's to prevent this she-clown from bringing one or two offers to the "meeting", carefully photoshopped if necessary, that are not as good as the one the seller accepted - and quietly putting four spectacular offers through the shredder?

In short, why trust her at all?  Anyone know?

And Shyam, I certainly hope that if Ms Coleman files a complaint with the GA REC, that her case is not "handled" by the woman there who starts hooting "WOO-hoo-hoo-hoo!  WOO-hoo-hoo-hoo!" into the phone when the client attempts to tell her side of the story.  They are extremely unlikely to help her.

You're probably better off to get an attorney, and make sure it's NOT a RE (closing) attorney whose income depends on "playing nice" with realtors.  Get a barracuda contract attorney. 

I would contact the broker of the agent and let them know the situation.   

All written offers are supposed to be presented.  Typically in a multi offer situation I have my sellers strike the front page of the rejected offers, write rejected and sign and date.  This way at no time can the buyer or buyers agent come back and tell me I didn't present the offer. 

I wish you the best of luck. 

Your agent has a duty to present all written offers to you, I would ask to have an account of all written  offers and have a meeting with broker and agent to discuss. 

When a broker represents you in the sale of your home, they must submit all offers and qualifications of the buyer to you regardless of the offer. It is a requirement. If your broker is not returning your calls, I would contact their manager and complain. I would be happy to help you anytime.

All written offers are to be submitted. You should ask to receive a copy of it tonight. If not received by tomorrow, request an immediate face to face review with all contracts, the Agent and their Broker.

Hello there,

If your agent says that she has written offers, but is unable/unwilling to provide said offers, there is a chance that she is "exaggerating the truth" in regards to how many offers ACTUALLY came in. In order to get to the bottom of it, you should definitely contact the Broker and request a meeting to discuss exactly what the deal is. I might also recommend seeking the assistance of a different agent.

Obviously I wont re-iterate the correct facts everyone has already said below... I would at this point, NOT sign anything else until such a time as EVERY offer made is laid out in front of you in order that you can view each one and ask questions about each one if needed. It very well could be this one offer was indeed FAR better than the others... but you don't know that unless they are ALL presented to you!

All offers should get presented to you. I agree that a face to face meeting with your agent and the agent's broker should be held in the next 24 hours.

YIKES!  Thanks for posting your question on Zillow.com but sorry for your troubles.

I would call an immediate, face to face meeting with your agent AND their broker/manager to get resolved.

Good luck.

Profile picture for Dan Lawler
The agent was not doing his or her duty to you in not showing you all the offers that were on the table. 

Profile picture for spnagalla
Your agent has no right to with hold any information that was submitted to her buy prospective buyers. Every offer is supposed to be presented to you. In fact, it is illegal on her not to present any of the offers to you. Without delay, try contacting her Broker. If you do hear from them within 24 hours, contact Georgia Real Estate Commission at http://www.grec.state.ga.us/ and lodge a complaint. If you think you incurred a loss due your agent's dealings, you have every right to claim the amount from that agent.

Your agent is legal bound to present all offers to you, thye do not have the ability to decide what constitutes a"good" offer. You need to discuss this with your agent, request to see everything they withheld and involve the managing broker as/if needed. If there is reason to believe the agent cost you money, then this obviously warrants further investigation.

It is the Agent's responsibility to show you all offers. You need to contact the Agent's Broker and discuss the situation as soon as possible.