They knock on the door of your house for sale do you let them in?

This is risky and part of why you hire a Realtor.  In this case the house is in a small town and the owner works at the local post office and felt like she did recognize the woman.  She let her in and showed the house and the odd questions began.  Do you have an alarm?  Doesn't your husband work the night shift?  May I bring my husband back tomorrow at 6pm? 
Luckily my client called me and I will be meeting them at 6 and getting all the info we should have before showing a home.  Send in your thoughts and I will let you know how it goes. 

August 05 2010 - US

I would say absolutely not.  For safety's sake, this just sounds like a bad idea.  Somebody pops up on  your doorstep and asks to come in and look around? No thanks.  Call me, schedule and appointment when I can have someone else here.

Agents take a big enough risk meeting with clients alone, although hopefully they've got some kind of background/history with with so as to remove some of the danger. But people just showing up on your doorstep, I'd suggest the seller pass.  Sounds more like danger knocking than opportunity.

can't believe anyone would go to the door of a listed house like that, sign in the yard, etc.   I would feel like I was invading their privacy going to the door unannounced.   Do people have no sense of right and wrong when it comes to real estate?   It seems to be that more and more it's just a free for all!

Make sure the buye ris Pre-Approved with a trusted lender.  You'll at least knwo they have good enough credit and are serious enough to buy.
I would imagine a serial killer wouldn't have good credit...
and hire an Realtor, for god's sake--it's an extremely competitive market right now, you need every edge you can get!

You could also just put up a do not disturb occupants or by appointment only sign on top of you for sale sign.  That might deter some people from walk-by-viewings and force them to call the agent to set up a viewing appointment.

I had people come to look at my listed house like that a few times. Some I let in and talked with, others I didn't answer the door for at all. I would say to trust your gut. Mine never lies. If the person looks nice, but the gut says no keep the door shut. 

Seller Paying Closing Costs
Profile picture for Lluvia Martinez
Latest reply by Lluvia Martinez
1 day ago | 16 answers
MLS My Home has poor service
Profile picture for Don Egypt
Latest reply by Don Egypt
August 06 | 5 answers
my listing agent made me an offer to buy my home
Profile picture for melchor perez
Latest reply by melchor perez
August 04 | 10 answers
How to get rid of cooking smell while selling your home
Profile picture for Jose Smith Jr
Latest reply by Jose Smith Jr
July 12 | 11 answers
SHOULD A SELLER PAY THE BUYERS CLOSING COSTS? What you need to know...
Profile picture for PeteSchneider
Latest reply by PeteSchneider
July 10 | 19 answers