Profile picture for klnc2010

This is lame.....

We put an offer in on a house that was on the market since May, recently listed as "new" with a new realtor and price. Our offer was answered the next day with an announcement that they had received a full offer, and we could match it! Then we found out that it was a neighbor that bought it, apparently they wanted to be told of any offer so they could swoop in and buy it for the higher price. What a waste of our time.
  • October 16 2010 - Little Blue Valley
  • 0

Waste of time, perhaps.  Did it save you from perhaps buying an over-priced home that will not appraise, likely.

Profile picture for KarlaRose
That IS lame but I don't know that I'd necessarily blame the agent.  They may just be doing what their clients are directing them to do.  I know I wouldn't want to get a reputation for those types of shenanigans but the seller is obviously looking for thier best bottom line so we sometimes  have to do things that we aren't 'proud of' because we are following our duty to our clients.  It's not illegal, just crappy.

I would love to know who the listing agent is.  Unfortunately we've worked with a few shady ones in the area.  I like to know who's doing business like this so I can warn my clients.  Thanks!

Still not quite understanding this one -

Profile picture for klnc2010
Exactly what we wanted to know! We made an offer at 29K less, the neighbor then offered the full price, we were not going to match it as we thought it was may be shady, a way to get us to raise our offer, The neighbor was probably hoping it would go down again in price before they had to get involved, and swoop in and make the higher offer. Totally negates us trying to negotiate any kind of deal.

klnc2010,  I'm confused:
You made an offer, you were told they had received a full offer (after being on the market since May) and you could match it. 
I am assuming you chose not to do so.
You found out a neighbor bought it.

"apparently they wanted to be told of any offer so they could swoop in and buy it for the higher price."
This is the part I don't understand, why would the neighbor want to be told of an offer so they could buy it for a higher price?