Profile picture for Whitman Met

This is very sad

• July 23 2008 - US
  • 0

good lord.

Go to the survey.  39% of people think the mortgage company should be blamed...

Very sad indeed. Unfortunately, I do not think life insurance pays on a suicide? Not that it matters if it pays or not, I think this is a classic example of how the foreclosure crisis is affecting families.

Sad indeed.

I think you are correct about the insurance company not paying. Now if you assume she sacrificed herself for her family's well being thinking that the insurance money would save them then the story is even worse.

FHA- only for a year or so... That's too prevent people from taking life insurance policies out soon after they decide to off themselves, and then actually doing it. Makes sense I suppose.

This is sad, and I wish people realized that no matter what happens monetarily, there is still a lot of life to live. Money troubles are awful, yes, but not really a great reason to commit suicide... Not like there is EVER a good reason...

She bought this house in 2002 with 3% down.  No refinances.

Profile picture for Rob Cochems

Sad reflection on society when someone comes to the conclusion, that they are worth more dead then they are alive.

Pray for the family.

Profile picture for shapiroamg

It is the one county in Eastern Ma hit very hard by declining markets.

Profile picture for MORTGAGE OPERATOR

Let's all have a minute of silence in Zillow....

Three things:

1st... very sad when credit strife takes a life period. all the banter nationally and on TV about massive losses and stock prices and whatnot starts from somewhere and some times it is people's residences and not CONDO flips and the shame and fear can have major effects on one's actions.

Does any know the history of the home/lending (Andrew find it please or someone in MA)... and 2)... When I read the article... and I'm being very serious about this... There was a Ditech ad under the obit article.  I'm not laughing or making fun as this type of situation will be happening a little more often.  We just "lost" a prominent developer in Orlando last month... same type of ending.. peeled back to the truth and his "developments" had not blossomed like everyone else had thought.

I think you would be surprised how often this sort of thing happens, it just does not make the news. usually they don't fax thier mortgage company and it does not tie into a smear job on the industry on the news at 5. The truth is that people take this sad step every day. Spend a 24 hour shift with a medic in a city like Richmond or Oakland CA and you'll get a lifetime education on "sad". 

I believe it Greg... Early bird today?

I am off work in 2 hours. Sorry, tough night! If I sound overly negative ... sorry. It's just that there is always a story behind the story that never gets told. No one knows why this person really did this but it will be used as an example to bolster whatever agenda people have. The truly sad part is truly that the real tragedy will never be uncovered because it's now a symbol of something ...

Ugghh!

It is very sad that the strife and stress from losing one's home could become such an overwhelming feeling.  HANK tries to put a price tag on it at "X"... WALL ST at "Y" and Main Street's price tag can be much higher and farther reaching. I'm not going to spin anything with this. I have had to sit with a couple of people lately (handholding) to walk them through their scores dropping from 800 to wherever when they walk from some INV property.  Even that was painful to see.

Very sad that a person has so much pressure that she would take her life over a mortgage.  Life is worth far more than a home.  Prayers go out to her and her family. Very humbling to read.

With most life insurance policies the suicide clause is for two years. After that the proceeds are payable to the beneificiaries. In none are named ont he policy, the death proceeds are part of the decedang's estate.

Profile picture for shapiroamg

I was quite saddened to read this article, but then I read the comments below (on the link, comments from readers), and I was saddened, appalled, and embarrassed by some of the comments judging this poor soul without really knowing the whole story and other circumstances surrounding the situation.

Prayers to and for the family, and more prayers for the lack of humanity some of the posts below the article represent. Just another example, to my mind, of our society losing common courtesy, respect for others, and just plain good judgement.

On another note, was that word decedent?

JR,

Our society has lost touch, but after reading the followup... The story was an attempt to tie this tragedy to the mortgage problem.... subprime....ALT A..  As sad as it is and was. this is the media attempting to TMZ the mortgage business.  Same loan from PUR....  PHH is a fairly straight-laced lender.. I figured this was a QL or Ditech, CFC, WAMU or WORLD SAVINGS story.. It is/was not, but it took me down that road and it was meant to lead us to believe that it was you (not me, cuz I didn't do subprime) or anyone else who ever originated a subP loan caused this death.  That is wrong. They have/had financial problems and I am saddened by it and that WASH wants to put a price tag on it like FORD did with the PINTO, but this story has NOTHING to do with the greed/rise and fall of the RE market. Some comments were a little callous maybe, but please be careful on blanket statements about us all.  Keep rockin' and I wish you well.

James, yes it is decedent.  Typo and no auto spell check this.

When I used to work in the insurance industry, we would always talk about statistics this statisitics that.  What we were talking about were deaths of a living, breathing people who were once children to parents,  and who ended up being parents, grandparents and members of our community.  I really hated that part of the business because there were faces attached to such stats. 

In our business stats get thrown around all the time about foreclosures etc.  But, rarely do we stop to understand the foreclosed home housed a family who is now possibly on the street, maybe splintered to different family members.  It takes a tragic story like this for us to pause and search our hearts and become human again.

I don't have many answers or solutions but something needs to be done more than has been to help hard-working people stay in their homes.  I am neither Democrat or Republican so I side with neither.

Profile picture for shapiroamg

Great perspective on this Martin.

It is unfortunate, but there is no one specifically to blame.  There were far more problems for these people then foreclosing on the home.  That was merely, the crutch.  Suicide, to me, is the easy way out.  Was it noble that she did it so the family could have the insurnace money?  Maybe.  What is noble of her to leave her husband and kid(s) without a mom?  NO.  The reprcusions of this will be embedded in that family longer than we know. 

I'd rather live in shack with my family, then leave my family devastaed by me commiting suicide.  I have no respect for anyone that does that.  That poor poor family.

Profile picture for Dave Pressel

I think that is easier for people to judge from a superficial perch, such as where we are judging this poor woman / family.  The guy makes $6,900 net and as per the BK petition his monthly expenses were under $4K.  How do you go to foreclosure with that?  Was there an issue that we are unaware of (gambling, medical expenses, overspending on credit cards, etc)

My point is this:  our opinions will not change the course of events regarding what happened.  It says in the article that the husband was shocked because he had no idea about this, and that the wife was getting the foreclosure notices and shredding them.  Obviously she was trying to keep them from him, and while we may never know why there are always additional layers to that onion as you peel it.

Just a horrible story.....

DP

Exactly David, that's why I said there were far more problems then just foreclosing on the home.

I may seem calloused, well maybe I am.  What in the world is this going to start now?  A rash of faxes, "I'll kill myself if you foreclose", threatening suicide to get out of foreclosure?  Mark my words, you'll hear more and more of this.  Unfortunately, this mortgage company will probably end up getting sued because of this, it will be turned around and be the mortgage companies fault.  So, all the mortgage companies will want to avoid that and put a stay on foreclosures for an "extra couple of months" to try and let the people get the money.

Profile picture for Ken Kopper

Tammy, I dont think your callous...I think you are keeping it real..Yes its sad but its also stupid and obviously the media is jumping at the opportunity to blame the mortgage industry. Lots of people have lost their homes and are working through it and dealing with it.

Hell, I think Zillow ought to capitalize on it...Don't kill yourself , come to Zillow to find solutions to your problems!

Profile picture for ELender

I doubt they'll be adding that as their tag line anytime soon....

Profile picture for Ken Kopper

E- that was a joke!

Profile picture for Dave Pressel

I think you said it very well Tammy.......we just never truly know the extenuating circumstances

DP

Profile picture for ELender

I know KK...the really funny thing is the one's that think that way...

Profile picture for Ken Kopper

E- are you saying I should trademark that tag line in case zillow wants to use it and that way I could sell it to them and make a profit.

1. 1
  2. 2