Throw back style

Alright all you refined gentlemen and ladies with style, does ANYONE still wear these.  I've been looking into buying a tie bar, but don't want to make the mistake of buying one that needs the holes in the collars (like back in the 60's).  Just want to know if anyone else has experience in this fading yet refined look.

August 13 2008 - US

Profile picture for Alan May

I've always worn a tie bar, anytime I wear a non-oxford button down collar.

(we can't have the collar "sticking up", can we?)

So than what kind?  Do you buy the shirts with the holes?  Is it a clip or a pin?  Sorry so many questions, but there really isn't much info out there.

Profile picture for Valhakar

I don't even own a suit or a tie anymore.  I guess I am living the American dream.  :-D

I couldn't imagine not wearing a suit to certain things.  I'm always the one to overdress just in case.  If it's shirt and tie, I wear a suit.  If it's "black tie optional", I wear a tux.  I wish we could go back to the 20's, wear you dress well anywhere.  Ever see the pics of the great depression?  The guys who were homeless were still wearing a jacket and tie in line for soup.

Profile picture for mckylie

See, I am the opposite.  I am now working from home and only get our to clients every once and a while.  So, for the most part I am wearing my "workout" clothes and am very comfy!!!!!  Except ofcourse when I go out to see the clients.  It's nice to dress up every once in a while.  But I'm loving not having to on a daily basis!!!!!!!!

Profile picture for Alan May

Jim, I strictly use the "clip" style (with a good strong spring to it)...

If I had the foresight to order the shirts with the hole in them...then I'd have had the foresight to order the oxford button-down.  I only use the fake tie bar (very much like the one you have in your photo) that is clipped on... (but again, it has to have a good strong spring, otherwise it doesn't grip well enough).

Profile picture for Valhakar

Exactly mckylie.  My work wardrobe consists of PJs and sweats.  I actually have to dress up to go golfing.  Slacks and a polo for any onsite face time.  I found it makes a much more powerful statement to face down an SVP or EVP in a suit with a nice polo and a very noticable tan.  You can weed out the ones that will be a problem and get them RIFed before they become an issue.  After 7 years, a dozen aquisitions, no less than a dozen promises to get me fired, and countless lines of business disolved; I think my approach works best.  :-D

Valhakar - the destroyer of worlds.

So I guess I can't order it online without being able to check the spring.  I don't know where else to get one.  Maybe Joseph A. Bank, or Barney's, Brookes Bros.

Profile picture for Valhakar

Try Dillards of all places.  Neaman Marcus as well.

Val, are the courses around you in good condition this year?  They are around me, from the rain, and the mildly warm summer.  I've shot really well this year so far.

I miss 2 things from my dotcom days. My ridiculous over inflated bubble salary and stock otptions..and the greenlight to weat tshirts, shorts and flip flops to work.

Profile picture for Valhakar

Arizona has 2 "winters", we are coming out the back end of our first winter.  115 degrees and the fairways and greens go to crap.  I rather like playing in the "rough" conditions, it makes the game a little more like the old days before it went all Victorian. 

In all honesty, I play golf badly so a beat to hell fairway is a benefit for me as most people don't know how to hit a ball on struggling grass with hard packed dirt under it.  :-D

Short answer to your question:   No.

Profile picture for Alan May

You can order it online... they're not that expensive, and they're easy to return.

I find them at Nordstrom's in the men's dept. with the ties.  Nieman's would be good too, but I doubt you'll find much of a selection at dillards, Banks or Barney's... and Brooks Brothers has a great selection of shirts, but very little else.

I am content with the flip flops and shorts  though  I sometimes have to run off to a clients office at a moments notice so there is always several fresh pairs of dress pants and  dress shirts on the back of my office door.   I wore my brown shoes home the one day and forgot bring them back. The next day  I had someone call and invite me to a customer meeting  and as I glanced at my clothes selection I realized HOLY crap ... all I have is Brown dress pants and a cream color shirt.   YES.. yes I did show up with black shoes and brown pants.   The pants were dark brown and I dont even know that anyone noticed.  

but I have learned my lesson  and now have a 2nd pair of brown shoes in the car just in case.  I cant tell you how many times I havent had socks and either had to wear white socks or no socks.

Carry a sharpie and next time you don't have black socks, color your leg so as to look like you're wearing socks...LOL

Seriously though, one of my friends was in Orchestra, and realized he for some reason only had 1 tall black sock.  So he cut off some of the top and put it on the other leg and presto...2 socks.

Thanks Elvis...quite helpful.  Now one more question for you...is the collar bar acceptable formal attire, or is that a no no?

Profile picture for Alan May

The collar bar is always considered acceptable formal attire (unless, of course you're wearing a bow tie!)

Wonderful...thanks a lot.

Profile picture for Bitter Renter Ron

I haven't seen any tie bars around lately, but the last time I looked the J. C. Penney catalog still carried tab collars.

Profile picture for bethrahrig

I've bought them for DH at J.C.Penney.  Well, the spring type anyway.

linky

Profile picture for mpal.

Does anyone watch Mad Men.  Man oh man, I think men in suits are sexy!

Addicted to it mpal.  That show is incredible.

speaking of throw back style... has anyone seen the new Charger in person?   I am not a Mopar person but that car is bad A$$!!

Profile picture for mpal.

OOOOOOO Sulli, I love that show!!

Those are sweet Spec.  Have you seen the new Camaro?  It's so cool.  I must have been reincarnated from a muscle car lover in the 50s or something.

mpal - I've become addicted to Mad Men.  I started watching it on On Demand and couldn't stop!

Profile picture for julia111

That car is super sweet!! My Bro inlaw had a original charger, the now very expensive year and model too. He sold it for nothing in the eightys.Who the heck knew back then??

We dont talk about that anymore.. Its too painful for him.

OOOO there is a new Camaro out?  I haven't been keeping tabs.  I had a candy apple red Berlinetta in college when I first met my husband.  He likes to kid me about it and sings the Dead Milkmen song "Bitchin Camaro" whenever we reminisce about those days.

Profile picture for julia111

I love that song..

"bitchin' camero,bitchin' camero

I just ran over my neighbor" he he...

K101 - i'm not sure if it's on the market yet.  I was watching some show that showed it.  They were not sure about body style, but from what I saw, it's going to be totally bitchin!

Well I might just have to look into getting myself a sweet little 2 door again then.  And, having a Camaro in FL makes more sense than it did driving one in MA!  Boy, do they SUCK in the snow.

New Help Section
Delete My Account
Dunes Tavern & Conspiracy Center
Latest reply by Pasadenan
Multi-families in a single family home
Profile picture for Mypc
Latest reply by Mypc
Is America Home 4rent a scam or legit
Profile picture for BrittanyDavis46
Latest reply by BrittanyDavis46