Timber Value VS Traditional "Fair Market Value" in Land Sales

Many times you see land sold with marketable timber and no one ever accounts for the value of the timber. I can say i sell land all the time that has a degree of timber value and it is not configured in the price. Most land sales you pull from listing services to get a traditional "fair market Value" do not configure the timber. Hmmm food for thought.... Can something be done about this or should it even be a visited issue?
  • January 10 2012 - Goldendale
  • 0

Residual timber (or agricultural) value is certainly valuable, but could never (never say never) be factored accurately on a free online real estate value site as Zillow, so they dont try.

Simiilar factors go into valuing commercial properties, farms, churches,  large apartments, etc. All of these values would be considered 'complex' and would be valued by an appraiser specialized in these properties.

I have a friend who does nothing else but value churches.....how the heck do you value a church ?!?! I have no idea but he does and he has plenty of work...

Dear Janeece;

Never is a long time.

Some of us do actually try to account for the value of a commodity a piece of property posesses...such as timber.  We have a good many agents in our market who certainly attach timber value to a parcel, such as myself.  Many of us are or have been in the timber industry and if you look in a timbered market you may be surprised to see values of timber, ie a cruise, represented.  Look at my XX Red Mountain listing, Whatcom County, for example. 
I would never use a listing service for anything other than bargaining power with the uninformed...much less to value a piece of property.

Hope this helps,

Rob Merhaut
Remax Whatcom County
"A" Tree Service & Logging Company

Good input. Thats the problem with special properties such as timber, water rights and minerials, they are in a class of their own and should be treated that way.... Zillow thinks it knows my market but it's way off... I spend allot of time explaining to people why they are off... I have yet to find a land site that caters to my needs as a land Broker. All these sites are set up for home sales brokers in the city. Most my properties dont have address and their mapping programs can't even begin to deal with that, then they want to know how many bedrooms and baths, just cracks me up.... I tell people they are great places to find listings but not to way any more than that into them... 

Profile picture for moose2good
I have been in the stone/aggregate industry for 187 years; I am a rock/stone evaluator, and I determine the 'fair market value' of all of the rocks and stones on a given property.  I figure the 'per ton' value of all the rocks and stones on a parcel and offer an 'industry standard' for tonnage (some rock evaluators prefer the 'cubic corollary').  Even the pebbles are an actual commodity .  Zillow thinks it knows my market, but they are WAY off!
My cousin is an agent evaluator for grass and weeds, also.  He determines the commodity value of fescue vs. chickweed and gives a 'fair market value', with dandelions drawing a premium due to their 'wine' value.
My other brother Darryl figures the air quality value and determines the cost of importing nitrogen, oxygen and combining the gases to make 'air'.  It is definitely in a class of it's own...He also offers a cost/benefit analysis computer model that is UNIX-based for just under $800,000.00.  His web-site is 'wwww.Iamacompleteanduttermoneygrubbingpig.com'.
I only offer this advice to the uninformed and the financially-challenged....
By the way, I lost the entire Good Neighbor Policy.