Profile picture for re rod

Time to fire my agent?

I'm filing for divorce, but don't want to file until Iv found my second house..  Long story, Dont ask.

So I'm very eager to find a place which fits my needs and get the heck OUT.  Iv been watching homes come on the market for the last 3 months since Iv already considered everything available already.  I don't expect my agent to look for me.. Or trust him to, but when I find one, isn't he supposed to be available weekends to show me?  He said he would be available, but I contacted him Friday about a home and he never answered until today..  Only to say that the home that was just listed Friday and would have been perfect for me has excepted a offer after one weekend on the market.

I'm not happy.  Was this one of those homes that already had a buyer waiting before it being listed? 

Should I fire him?  Iv signed one home offer with him..  Does that mean I'm obligated to use him?

I need a agent who can get me into a new listing at the drop of a hat seems like.

January 06 - Iowa City

When working with an agent that has been in the industry for years.  It is difficult to get their undivided attention because they are working with many buyers and sellers at one time.  When scheduling appointments for the week-end it is a good idea to try to give 36-48 hours to work out appointments with the sellers agents and home owners.  It is not always easy or speedy to get clients in the door for a showing.  If you are looking to work with someone that has more time to give you.  Try working with someone who is newer to Real Estate.  They are eager to please, motivated to get you what ever you want and can be available in a short amount of time. Just because someone is new doesn't mean that are not good.

January 27
When you hire an agent it should be discussed the process and expectations so there is no lack of communication.  At times, the agent may have other obligations, and may not be able to accommodate all your appointment requests. I suggest appointments to see homes should be scheduled in advance. I suggest you have a discussion with your agent first, then determine your course of action.

Best of Luck!

Cindy Keil 

January 27
slack or not .... communication is a two way street.

January 06
It's very important to discuss and lay out expectations during the first buyer's face to face consultation.

The houses on the market go very quick in current market. Buyers often times have to take months to find a house in their desirable location and affordable prices due to multiple offer situation.

Yes, not all agents work on weekends. There are agents actually specialize in working with sellers.

If you don't want to work with the current agent, just tell him know.

There are paperwork to fill out to let him to release your agency relationship if you ever filled out, if you haven't, then you don't owe him anything. Or if it's the house, have him to do a mutual release on the house from the seller. Sometimes contract has a expiration date, if the contract is already expired. You don't even need to do anything.

January 06
Time is of the Essence in Real Estate and it is your agents job to get you into the home as fast as possible.  That said, this sounds like a failure with communication between the two of you, and other factors are often in play.

Just because you want to see a home, doesn't mean its available to be seen or that your agent doesn't already have a full scheduled with other clients, other appointments.  
Some homes need 24 hrs notice to be seen, others only show during specific days/ hours.  While last minute works sometimes, it does not work all the time. 

My buyers and I are partners in their home search, its a huge purchase no matter what your price tag and you either feel a connection with your agent or you don't.  

January 06
Do you want our permission? Granted!

January 06
Profile picture for re rod
Yea, this agent was recommended to me by a good friend who bought many properties with him, but It's just not working/clicking.  Maybe its because he doesn't live online like I do.  Iphone and whatnot.  I should have called him maybe.

Sorry, no slack given for last weekend being " the end of the Holiday Season"

January 06
I agree with wetdawgs that you need to sit down with your agent and agree procedures. In this case though, it really was the end of the Holiday Season and I would probably consider giving him the benefit of the doubt.

January 06
I would talk to your agent and explain what you are expecting from them. They may or may not be the best agent for you. There are countless agents that would show you a home within hours of you making the request and there are also countless agents that won't return your phone call that you make on Friday until Monday. When a home comes on the market on Friday and is priced right it is very possible for it to be under contract by the end of the weekend in many markets. That is why it is good to have an agent available to you when you need them. Good Luck to you.

January 06
It is time to have a discussion with your agent and see what is up.   Communication is a two way street and together the two of you need to develop expectations.

Should an agent be available weekends?  Many are.  However, that is for the two of you to discuss and agree to.   There is no rule book that says every agent has to be available every weekend.    Innumerable people in my social network were out of town last weekend as the last weekend of the holiday, perhaps this was just one of those events.

January 06