Tips For Broker Open Houses

In a slower market it is imperative that we continue to explore options outside of our normal routine that could possibly increase the traffic to our listings. As a Realtor, my days are filled with meetings, previewing, client calls, conferences, and substantial web time.  I make an honest effort to attend Broker Open Houses which are usually held during 11-1pm. Sometimes my intentions are defeated by the day to day tasks which demand my attention.

Over the past few months I have begun holding Broker Open Houses during the morning hours, 8-10am. I have breakfast catered, serve coffee and always try to provide incentives of drawings, small gifts, etc.

I am a morning person and much to my delight so are many of my cooperating agents! It has been well received and the turnout is proof! Many of the Realtors say it helps them plan their day, motivates them to get up and out earlier, and not to mention free breakfast!

If you haven't tried this in your area, go for it. It has worked really well for me.

A few tips for Broker Breakfasts:

• Coffee, Coffee, and more Coffee with additional bottled water
  • Healthy breakfast options such as fruit, yogurt, and bagels
  • Energetic atmosphere- everyone loves a smile in the morning
  • Make sure to notify neighbors of additional traffic that may occur.

Good Luck and Enjoy Breakfast!

• November 06 2010 - Beaufort
  • 1

This is an excellent idea.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  In our area, we have days that are designated as Broker Open days for certain areas.  Do you have such a thing and, if so, do you use the same days and just change the time of day for your Opens? 

Maybe I will try this. I'll let you know how it works here on Long Island. We do our broker open's between 12-2 and serve lunch. You know half the agents come just for the free lunch.  Breakfast and coffee would certainly be cheaper and MAYBE more agents would come.

In our area we don't have specific days. We do have the "normal" Broker Open Houses between 11:30-1:30 with lunch; however, I found that breakfast oftens gets a better response. I enjoy it because it frees my afternoons for work:)!

Thanks for the tips!

Thank you for sharing your idea with us. I must admit I have never thought about Broker's open in the morning. I will definately try.

First I must admit that I generally find Broker/Agent Open Houses a complete waste of time. I have NEVER sold a home as a result of an AOH. They basically only serve to feed the area's laziest agents a bite to eat (and of course, to persued your owner that you're actually trying something to sell their home).  In my experience, it is rare when any one of the area's top 100 agents show up at an Agent Open House.

That said, I have found that morning AOH's tend to attract an more productive class of agents.

I have also had "success" in hosting invitation only evening (5-7pm) events with a little bit of booze. (note: success in attendance, never success in selling thru an AOH)

One other hint, if you ever have the chance, take a client to an agent open house.  Every agent in the house will gang up on 'em and tell them to buy.  Agents can't help it, it's in their blood.

thank you for sharing!

Thanks for the "morning Open House" tip.  I just might try it.  I have also done "rush hour" open houses.  They work fairly well depending on the location of the home.

I am, and will always be a believer in Realtor Open Houses, as well as public open houses. They work for me. I try to go to as many as I can as well. It is a great way for an agent (I am considered a Top Produer, no laziness here:) to get familiar with the inventory.

I'd have to disagree. I really think that Open Houses should be places to share actual product knowledge about the market and the home. Food takes time and energy away from the process of education. People eat breakfast and then go house hunting or browsing. I don't beleive donuts are going to be neccessary to break the ice or that they will do anything but detract from the process. I have historicaly had great success with OPEN HOUSES. I've found that being prepared with lots of facts for educated buyers makes the OPEN HOUSE a success and often leads to selling that home the day of the OPEN HOUSE.

I find public open houses are a moderately successful way to find new buyers however I have never sold a home from an open house. I attend Broker Open Houses for our office but we also put all new listings on a weekly caravan. Most of our agents participate in the caravan which does help our sellers when calls come into the office. The agents on phones who have seen the home are better prepared to answer those calls. Public open houses are most successful during the first couple of weeks of the property's listing. Broker Open Houses I believe are only for the benefit of promoting an agent's services to the sellers. Some needy sellers insist on them and most have a false hope of success at having one but if you as the agent are finding success with it then continue to do them. One thing certain. It does not hurt anything to do them.

Profile picture for Lynn Milone
always thought of lunch and evening time which is very popular here, but never thought of breakfast, what a great idea!

I was going to do a Saturday Broker Open.  I will make that a Monday morning now.  You convinced me that that should be more productive and simple with food choices.  Juice/ coffee / water beverages is more my speed.  Thank you so much.  I am holding an Open House Sunday November 3rd and will make it a Broker Open Monday Morning.