Profile picture for gauravps

Title services

I am getting my mortgage refinanced and am looking for a dependable (and cheap) title service company to replace the one my lender suggested. My primary motivation is reliability closely followed by total fees to me. Does anyone know a service they can recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Gaurav
  • July 02 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for daveskow
most title  firms  are  roughtly same  costs

make sure with lender  you  are allowed to do this  and ask them to order  from whomever you choose

From what I understand title companies are regulated by the government so all quotes are pretty much the same. There are 5 big companies that own most of the industry - and most of the brokers out there do business with one of these companies so there's not much flexibility in pricing. But if anyone knows any different, I would love to know of a less expensive alternative. I have clients ask me this all the time.

Sorry Amy and Dave, there can be a significant difference among Title / Escrow company pricing.   It is true there are only a small number of actual title insurers in the country, but though diligent work, by carefully selecting the vendor, my clients regularly save hundreds of dollars on their overall Title Insurance and Escrow/Closing Fees.     

Check out Entitle Direct; their direct to consumer pricing allows them to be very competitive.  Although I gladly endorse Entitle, I assure you they have plenty of competition.

Steve is correct, the costs do indeed vary between title companies, sometimes significantly.

Profile picture for Go Huskers
" My primary motivation is reliability closely followed by total fees to me."
-----
If this is true then you should use the one your loan officer suggests. Most loan officers that do refinances have a "go to" company or individual in that company that they trust and have done many refinances with. The person that needs reliability in the transaction is the loan officer, not you. The LO needs to get things in a timely manner and have a good working relationship with them. What you said makes no sense. Why would you not want to use the one your LO suggests if your primary motivation is as stated. 

When your lock is broken because the title company YOU chose is slow, don't come back to post that your LO screwed up.

Usually easier going with one the LO has a established relationship with, time is money, I wouldnt use a title company that is going to drag their feet or I'm not familiar with.

Going with one you already work with (from the LO's perspective) is much easier, they know how you work, you know how they work. What they expect etc....Sometimes if you're in a real pinch on time you can ask for a favor...Can't ask that with someone you have not even done a deal with!

Title insurance business is highly regulated by states and licensing requirements limit companies able or willing to do business there. Entitle Direct for example is not licensed in many states including TX.
If one determines they are licensed in your state be sure to check with your lender to see if they accept their policy. Also be sure that by paying less it is not going to hamper your closing time, which could result in serious consequences regarding failing to perform per sales contract terms or having loan lock expire.