To Buy or not to Buy... Whats the difference between the listing agent & the buyers agent?

I am amazed at how many people out there do not know the difference between a buyers agent & the listing agent & who they represent... I hear " I called the listing company so that I will get a better deal on the house"... GROAN....
OK - lets talk turkey ( appropriate, since we are so close to the glorious day of gluttony!) When you are going out there to buy a home, you want a professional on your side, right? When you "hire" the listing agent, the are working for you & you will get a better deal, right? WRONG! The listing agent is representing the seller! They have a contract with the seller to represent the sellers best interests at all times, not your best interests Mr & Mrs Buyer! I cannot stress enough the importance of having your own buyers agent, one that doesnt work for the listing company! A buyers agent gets paid by the sellers realtor to represent you, Mr & Mrs Buyer- so you get your very own Realtor & you dont have to pay them! ( There are instances where there are exceptions to the rule, but they are few & far between) I could talk about this all day- anyone have comments/ questions?
  • November 16 2012 - Brooklyn Center
  • 0

Imagine, if you will, the music from Dragnet... Dun Ta Dunt Dunt....  Dun Ta Dunt Dunt DUHHH!

You have the right to representation.

If you choose not to be represented, anything you say and do could be used against you in a real estate transaction.

You have the right to a REALTOR®.

If you feel you cannot afford a REALTOR®, your local MLS agreement may provide a REALTOR® for you free of charge.

Do you understand these rights and what you could be giving up without zealous Buyer Representation?

:-)  Cute and serious all at the same time....

But Seriously, since the vast majority of the time there is absolutely no fee for the residential Buyer, why wouldn't you want to have your own representation?