Profile picture for lyn21

To all the realtors or loan officer or anyone who wants to answer this

Lets say I found a house that i like very much. So I happened to ask an agent to help me buy that house. Now The agent told me that the house was bank owned.
and the bank was asking me an earnest money 5000 dollars. to prove that i want the house badly. Now Escrow is giving me a deadline that i have to sign some papers and pay the down payment which is 10% of 300k before the lender approved the loan.so the escrow can process the house.
Now after giving me the earnest money of 5k the escrow is telling me that i have a deadline, and that my loan wasnt approved yet. Question:
Why the escrow is giving me a deadline for? the bank who owned the house asked me for a 5k. what if i want to choose another loan officer to handle the case and still get the same house. can i offer the bank who owned the house to keep the 5k earnest money but simply i will change the loan officer who will process the loan?

its all confusing isnt it.

anyone can tell me whats going on?
when is the earnest money should be asked?
and when is the downpayment should be asked?
who does ask the earnest money?

Just confuse never hear this kind of messy transaction.
who should be blame?

THANK UUUU

June 04 2009 - US

When the earnest money should be asked: upon getting an offer accepted by seller the earnest money is due. In my state it's a time is of the essence thing or generally within a business day. This is handled in an account with a title company. The down payment is due at closing also at title company. To change lenders in a middle of a transaction is not so rare but can delay closing(if the first lender hasn't already missed your original closing date). Since starting new you need w2's,check stubs, bank statements to lender all over again. New appraisal also. It can get complicated as far as getting a seller to sign an amendment to extend the closing date; and if you're between properties or leaving a rental.  Real estate can get real "messy" but hopefully with all parties working towards a closing as quick as possible it will work .