Profile picture for BuyerSoCal

To change or not to change, real estate agent

First time home buyer, I feel I'm not getting any consistent communication from the agent I have been working with.  I've not signed any contract.  I'm in southern California and the county I live in is a bit tight in inventory for the budget I am trying to work with.  I believe I am competing with investors (with cash offers) while I am trying to come in with a FHA loan approved at $250k SFR.  Anyway, my search started off with a bang and I saw a property made an offer and waited a few days to get a response.  Waiting on bank response.  Since my first visit to homes with the agent I have not gone out again with the agent and I'm the one making contact with the agent and the not agent following up with me.  I text, email and call to get information.  I even email properties to view and ask the agents input.  
My search with the agent is still pretty new it started about mid November so it's still fresh but I still get the impression the agent should do more to at least communicate with me about how things stand and that the agent should be the more pro-active one instead of myself being the one texting, emailing or calling.  The kicker recently was we agreed about two and half weeks ago on a specific date to view homes but I got the feeling the agent did not have the date on their calendar because no contact was made by the agent leading up to the date so the day before I contacted the agent and left a voice mail and it was not until late in the evening that same day that I got a call back.  Agent could not make it.  

I want to change agents.  What do others think?  Am I being to impatient?
  • December 27 2011 - US
  • 0

Change agent now! You are the client and you deserve great customer service. If your agent is not responsive to your needs, then he or she does not deserve your business.

Good luck,

Change now. Find someone who exudes confidence not slickness. Find someone personable that you would like to spend time riding around in a car with.

Profile picture for BuyerSoCal
Thank you all for providing sound advice.  I'll be starting a new search for a new agent shortly.  And it does seem a bit like dating when deciding on an agent because I met the agent at an open house the agent was having. I had a good impression of our conversation/meeting at the open house and the house was getting some nice traffic.  Based on this first encounter and conversation I thought the agent would lead me to the search.

Think of finding that right Real Estate Agent kind of like dating.  You never settle.  There are many fish in the sea and if you take some time you will find that perfect person for you and your home search.  GOOD LUCK!

Dear BuyerSoCal,
To be an excellent real estate agent, I feel it is important to ensure that both buyer clients and seller clients get regular communication during the process of buying or selling a home. Based on what you mentioned in your post, the level of communication that you are receiving isn't fitting your needs.  Since you do not have any contractual ties with this agent, I would recommend that you move on to another agent.  You aren't being too impatient! 

Thanks for your question "BuyerSoCal".  Sorry you are having problems and thanks for posting you concern here.

Too bad you are not in the Pittsburgh, PA area!!!  I would take care of you.

If you do not have a contract, you can simply move on.  If you do, you would have to read the terms as it is probably with that brokerage & not the agent.  Either way, why not go to the agent's broker/office manager?  Only good things can happen, either he gets his crap together or the broker them self will represent you or even see if they can get another agent to work for you (notice I said FOR you).

Another thing I wonder, how the heck & why did you select this agent?  Go on Zillow and find agents in your area, read their client's reviews of them then make an educated decision.  That is how a lot of my clients find me.

Good luck, hope this helps.  If you need me to refer you to a Realtor that WANTS to represent you, contact me.

Hope this helps....good luck.!

Profile picture for craigfial
Chances are you ARE competiting with cash buyers and agents would rather work with ready and able closers.  FHA loans are sticky and there are a number of reasons why the lender might not finance the property, so the agent is not spending a lot of effort on you.

You should consider interviewing other agents since you may loose out on potential property if your agent cannot get offers in on time.

Good luck