Profile picture for Reform_HARP

To short sale or not? That is the question.

I am contemplating short-selling my home.  I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, a city with a real estate market that will likely not see great appreciation anytime soon.  At the moment, my home is worth approximately $150,000, and I owe $188,000 on the loan.  Thus, I am underwater by approximately $38,000.  (I paid $250,000 for the house in 2007).  I can probably rent a place for $1000 per month.  So, there would be definite monthly cost savings for me versus paying my $1324 mortgage.  I have a 5.625% rate on my loan.  I don't see myself living in this house for more than 5 to 7 years, if I can help it.  However, I currently have no pressing reason to move.  In addition, I can afford my mortgage.  My credit scores currently are great.  I would be willing to live with the negative credit implications of a short-sale for a couple of years.  But, I would definitely like to buy a new home within three or four years.  Finally, I would only go through with the short-sale if and only if I can get the deficiency totally waived.  From a financial perspective, does it make sense for me to short-sell my home?  Thoughts?  Opinions?

January 21 2011 - Las Vegas

Hello mtsaunders,

See my post to your other question.

See my post to your other question and while you are at it Google "foreclosure fraud cases."  Get educated.

[Link removed by moderator]

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
C'mon Linda, now you're making it too easy. "How to avoid foreclosure" is to visit your website?

"However, I currently have no pressing reason to move.  In addition, I can afford my mortgage."

A short sale is approved for those who have problems paying the mortgage. You have neither a problem paying the mortgage nor a half decent chance of the bank saying yes.

Find out if your state is a recourse or non-recourse state. The figure out why that might matter.

Doesn't sound like you should go for a short sale at the moment. If you are comfortable with the mortgage payments and don't feel the need to move, there's really no reason for you to attempt a short sale. Yes, you are upside down, but by a relatively small margin. Lots of homeowners are 60-75% under water in Las Vegas. In 5 to 7 years, you could accumulate more equity and the market could make a small turn-around. You could also consider to refinance to a lower rate. The new government sponsored refi-program may just be the perfect fit for your needs -look into it.
Also please consider that once you apply for a short sale, the bank will want to know every little detail about your financial situation -including exact income information, tax returns, utility bills and details about all of your assets including bank accounts, investments, cars and real estate. Make sure you first consult with a lawyer.

What is the average time Short sales are taking to actually close?
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
July 07 | 16 answers
(PART 2) Las Vegas Real Estate Market Update from The Adams Team at Rothwell Gornt Companies
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
Tips to Consider When Preparing Your Home For Sale
Profile picture for Shawn Rogers
Latest reply by Shawn Rogers
Simple Fixes To Help Your Home Sell More Quickly
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
Las Vegas Real Estate Market Update from The Adams Team at Rothwell Gornt Companies
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams

1. 9121 Kinross Ave, Las Vegas, NV Home For Sale
    9121 Kinross Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89145

2. 2318 Garnet Star St, Henderson, NV Home For Sale
    2318 Garnet Star St, Henderson, NV 89044

3. 9710 Silver Dew St, Las Vegas, NV Home For Sale
    9710 Silver Dew St, Las Vegas, NV 89183