Profile picture for centralcal

To use a Realtor or not?

I'm starting to question the worth of our realtor. He's very knowledgeable and experience, but I feel like he can be hiding homes from us. We've driving around and giving him over 20 address' to homes we've come accross with For Sale signs on them and he always tells us they're in contract or not available. I think that he may not want to deal with those homes because of the share with the listing agent. 

We are young first time home buyers very inexperienced. Do you recommend I just call the listing agents on these for sale listings or continue with my Realtor?

Thanks for the help 
  • May 19 2012 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for hpvanc
There is a certain amount of convenience to using a buyers agent as a single point of contact, but you still have to protect your own interest as you would with any commissioned salesperson.  Have you checked online 2 or 3 days later to see if the listings you saw the signs for are still listed and what the listing status is, preferably on the local MLS site (if searchable by the public)?  If they indicate they are pending or no longer listed, then your agent is telling you the truth, if they consistently still show as available on the local MLS site after 2-3 days you need a new agent.   

If you find that your agent is steering you to certain properties for whatever reason, if you have signed an agreement you will have to request that the broker the agent works under, not your agent, is willing to terminate the agreement and hope that they will.  If they will not agree to terminate it your only easy option is to wait for the agreement to expire before you resume your search.  That is a risk of signing an exclusive buyers agency agreement.

Good luck.

Neither. I recommend that you work with a Realtor® that you trust.

Further, I recommend that you engage that Realtor® in a buyer brokerage agreement where you agree to guarantee a certain level of compensation to them. Without quoting any real actual numbers, let's just say that an agent would typically make 300 zibliskis from your transaction. You can guarantee them 300 zibliskis, minus whatever the co-brokerage allocation is, so that if their share from the listing agent is 270 zibliskis, you'd pay 30. Agree to write it so if their share is 330 zibliskis, they'd credit you 30 for closing costs or whatever.

I would be honest with your agent about how you feel. Tell him that you appreciate his help and respect his market knowledge, but that you feel that he may not be showing you all available listings.

Ask to sit down with him and look at all listings in your target area or zip code. Ask him to explain what the MLS codes mean for pending, short sale contingent etc. The more you know, the better communication you will be able to have with your agent.

A good agent will not miss an opportunity to ease your doubts. If your agent does not answer your questions or wants to "pat you on the head" instead of talking it through, it might be time to look for another agent.

Centralcal,

Good Morning.

When buyers search on their own, more than likely, they are not using the same system most agents use, however, since you are working with an agent, you should address any issues you have. I always explain to my new clients, I am much like your Doctor, we are trying to do what's best for you, as a team, yet if you don't inform me of what's going, it may take longer for me to find the issue, if at all. If you bring it to my attention, I'm can look into it and/or explain why I'm doing what I'm doing (or in your case, not showing).

This of course, is just my opinion, as a long time Full-Time REALTOR. I'm sure just like in any profession, there's the good, the bad and the ugly.

I hope that helps  you.

-Mister "Shawn" Rogers, REALTOR, AZ.

I agree to run this by your agent. As an agent, I have some buyers who look online a lot and give me lists too. I let them know that they are available or not and if they are in contract, but still "available to show" to potential back-up buyers. You have just given me a great suggestion, I will need to communicate better with my first time buyers by sending them the actual listing paperwork to "show" them that the homes are pending, continue to show, pending "do not show", or active. I would not assume that your agent is avoiding listings, I would talk to your agent and explain that you would like more communication about the status of the homes - and remind them that this is your first experience as a buyer. I am sure your agent will be happy to share more information.

That could very well be the case, that the homes are either Pending or Contingent.  Ask him to show you the listing.  So when you identify the MLS send it to him and ask him to send you the listing back, if it is Pending or Contingent it will show on the MLS listing.  Oftentimes other websites are slow in picking up the status of properties.  If you signed a buyer agency agreement, it is best that run the calls by the agent to avoid confusion.  If you ask him what I suggested, you will be satisfied, promise!!!  Good luck!