Profile picture for mybeachhouse

Toilet flushes very slow?

Buying a 70's built beach home on city water and sewer.  I had the house inspected, and everything on the plumbing side checked out ok.  Best I can tell these are the original toilets, and when they flush, there is just not much pressure to push things though.  Is this just a case of old inefficient fixtures, or could it be something different maybe requiring the lines to be snaked and cleaned out?  Thanks

November 18 2009 - US

Best Answer
I would opt for replacing the toilets in your case.  For a hundred bucks and a half-hours' work the job is done.  And your area may offer rebates when upgrading to a high efficiency model.  Snaking might work, however you could spend $40 on a closet snake if you don't own one.  Removal and replacement of the old toilet?  This option may result in new leaks because you are dealing with old parts.

Of course, if the plumbing system is partially blocked down the line a new toilet will not help your situation.  Check this by introducing a large volume of water into the plumbing system (open all faucets and flush all toilets).  If the system drains well during this test your plumbing system is probably in fine shape.

Best of luck.  Let me know if you need detailed instructions on replacing the toilet and I would be happy to walk you through it.

Profile picture for mybeachhouse
Thanks So Cal,

I will be getting a plumber to come in as I want to get all of the old water connections replaced (i.e. sinks, toilets, washer, etc).  They aren't leaking, but most are very corroded (to the point where I am affraid to turn them on and off).  This is a second home, so I don't want to come home to a flood.  I'm sure it will cost a little, but I don't want to have to worry about it all the time.  While at the house I can have the plumber do some investigating on the toilet thing.  If it involves replacing the toilets, I can do that myself.

Bill

Remove the toilet and check the underside, its not as hard of a job as it sounds.

Could be something lodged in the trap of the toilet. One of my tenants children decided the appropriate place to store the cover to the carbon monoxide detector was down the toilet. Pop off the toilet and flip it upside down (I know it sounds nasty because it is) and see if something is stuck in the trap. You could also try snaking it with a closet snake. They are larger than the ordinary snake and meant for toilets.

Good luck with your expedition