Profile picture for rizzo50

Trying to rent my house until it sells?

I own a nice rent house that I am trying to sell.  Rather than let it sit vacant, thought I would try to rent it out short term until a buyer comes along.  This is easier said than done it seems.  No one wants to rent the place when I tell them it is also for sale and that I will possibly have to show the house from time to time.  I am thinking 3 month lease or maybe month to month.  Is this possible or am I dreaming>? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • June 20 2012 - Staten Island
  • 0

Anything is possible! It is definitely going to be harder to find a responsible and reliable renter. Your security deposit should remain as high as possible to insure that you are renting to someone who will take care of your place, but I would consider that the price to rent should reflect that they will be inconvenienced by showings and the fact they may be out of a place to live after just a short time. Good Luck!

I don't think you are dreaming, but you need a tenant that is able to accept those terms. I think that a quarterly lease that is renewed by agreement would work.

You may have to lower the rent and spell out showing conditions like one open house a month of every three weeks max with notice in advance. Many tenants need stability, but there are some that are willing to deal with the hassle of moving in a few months in exchange for cheaper rent. Screen carefully, but a working student or newly transplanted professional might be the perfect fit for a short term rental.

Lower your rent and make it a good deal for potential tenants. Then disclose your plans with them. Try and make an even trade so it's fair and everyone knows what is going on. You should be able to find someone

We have become mindful and deliberate consumers.  A trade, if you will, is a very welcome situation for many these days.  Lower the rent for services on the showings.  Remember to have a clear understanding with the tenant of your objectives for the property.

Happy Hunting!