Two more bills from closing attorney in addition to $750 on HUD, do I owe?

Recently bought a house, paid closing attorney $750 on HUD.

Another bill of $500 mailed in, for emails, calls to basicly confirming closing date, time and location, etc..  I was told the time for those is not covered by the $750, so I paid the $500

another bill of $75 came, for the time to read and forward an email from the seller of a property tax bill to the seller's name at this house, $50 for reading seller's email with attached tax bill(not my name), $25 for email me. Do I owe the closing attorney this money?  Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

December 17 2012 - Riverside

Being someone who was in the legal/closing side for 15 years before 7 years of finance...absolutely not. If he rep the lender his fee was already paid at closing. I'd contact your lender and Realtor and let them see what he/she is doing. That should make him/her change their mind rather quickly.

If you signed a fee agreement with this attorney to pay him by the hour, and he is sending you bills for work performed on your behalf, then you should pay him. 

I have never heard of such fees not being including in the closing.  What kind of attorney says $750 for a closing, but only if you don't communicate with us?  I am all about word of mouth and that attorney would get some bad pr from me!

I agree with Beverly, contact your agent and see if they can offer some guidance here.

Tammi Knapp

Did you have an agent represent you?  If so, ask the agent and broker to intervene.  Most times the HUD fees are the final fees.  Another question: who referred you to the escrow/title company?  One final thought: if you feel that you have been taken advantage off report them to the local bar assocition or attorney's general office.

This is not normal; however, it all depends on what you established with your attorney at the beginning.  It's always best to ask an attorney their fees before you hire the individual. 

Hope you enjoy your home.

John Kenney

I have never heard from any of clients having to make payments after the closing.  If it is not on the HUD, it is not on the HUD.  But then.....I do not know what deal you had with your attorney.

I am not sure where riverside is, sounds like california, and over here we think crazy things happen over there, so I am not sure the norm there. Here when the closing is over so are the bills and moneys due. If it was not on the HUD, too bad. I would ask another attorney if that is normal that they are emailing you bills after the closing is over (or escrow as you call it there). Lawyers get behind on payments too - just saying........