Profile picture for brian innis

Typically, what is a minimum credit score for a VA Loan? FHA Loan?

• January 23 - Roanoke Rapids

Hey Brian,

580 would be the minimum on VA and FHA currently!  If you have additional questions regarding a VA or FHA loan feel free to message me.  If you are trying to decide between the two and you qualify for a VA I can help explain some of the differences between the two.  Good luck!
  • February 06

600 is typical for VA and 620 for FHA with most lenders currently. However, you can find lenders that will go lower, but usually with down payment requirements or even other requirements to mitigate risk. 

Do you currently know what your credit scores are? If so, are the scores perhaps close to the needed score requirement? If that's the case, than I would ask have you talked with anyone about rapid credit score increases that might be feasible? That is another way to get your scores up quickly and without much effort. Usually just requires a little capital.

If you like more help, contact me through my profile. 

Thanks.
  • January 26

By choosing a Banker that can offer VA and FHA online pre and compete approvals you can get a quick and detailed roadmap to home ownership using either option. We go down to a 580 credit score and would be happy to discuss your loan in detail. You can also view our profile and go online and get your own private and secure approval for both FHA and VA at once. 
  • January 26

There are some lenders out there that can go as low as 580 for both loans, and sometimes 560 for VA loans. So if you are above that range then you should be able to get a mortgage. Although, if you do spend some time fixing your credit, you will be in a much better position that will allow you more flexibility. A score of 620 should always be your goal but anything down to 580 or 560 can still get you an FHA or VA loan. The best thing for you to do is to speak with a lender such as myself to see if you can get started on financing a new home. If you have any further questions or if you would like a loan, feel free to contact me.

• January 24

Actually, 580 is a fairly common minimum score for VA or FHA, we do those all the time and do not require any additional down payment or equity.  I would be happy to discuss your situation in greater detail through my profile above.  Thanks and good luck!
  • January 23

Profile picture for GMerino
Both VA/FHA most will want a 620 credit score. There are those that go down lower but fail to mention that you need a down payment and other required guidelines.
  • January 23

Hi Brian,

Justin is correct that most lenders will require a 620 mid credit score. We will go down to a 500 mid credit score.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions (in my profile). I'd be glad to help.

Ros

Roswell Moore, CMPS
Certified Mortgage Planner
  • January 23

Most lenders require a 620. I can go down to 600, and I know of companies who go to 580 or lower. I'm sure some of them will chime in soon.
  • January 23