US Citizen living abroad trying to get a US Mortgage in Florida

Hello everyone,
I am a US Citizen living abroad. I am currently working as a Airline Pilot for a company in Colombia. I am getting pay in Colombian pesos, but every year I do my US taxes reporting my foreign income. I am planning to move back to US with my family, but I am going to continue working for this foreign airline. Is there any possibility for me to get a US Mortgage with Foreign Income? Also, Can I qualify for a first time home buyer program? What would be the minimum down payment for this type of mortgage?

By the way, thank you all for your answers.......
  • September 19 2013 - Clearwater
  • 0

It's a good thing that you still have been doing United States taxes because that will allow you to obtain a mortgage when you return. Although you are paid in a different currency a lender will be able to know what to do and to help you out. Also, you should be able to qualify as a first-time home owner because of your situation. The down payment can depend on what type of loan you get and your lender so it can be anywhere from 3.5%-20%. I recommend speaking to a lender in Florida or where ever you plan to move to.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Yes, I think you can. I know a good mortgage professional who did most of the mortgages for my clients - let me know if you are still looking and I can connect you. Warm regards, Anna