Profile picture for GaryOnstad

Unpermitted additional septic system

I was looking at a rural home in Escondido California with a bathroom that was added by the backyard pool. The owner admitted that he made a separate septic system for that bathroom and it was not permitted. The septic system to the house is legal but I need to do something about the pool bathroom septic tank. Does he need to remove the tank? Can he just take out the toilet and sink? Does it need to be inspected and filled to avoid collapse? How much trouble is the home owner in from the state if they find out he has an unpermitted septic system?
  • September 16 2012 - Escondido
  • 0

Profile picture for JenniferBlanchard7
Did you buy the house?
  • November 22

Gary... one of the "interesting" things about your question is that in the statewide CAR approved purchase contract... inside paragraph 10 is a clause that says in researching problems... the buy can do nothing to cause a state agency to inspect... or fine... or damage the seller in any way... so if you do call the County Health Dept... and I would if I were you.... do not... give the the address of the property... or you could be held liable.  Crazy... but read paragraph 10.  I would not trust any answer except what the County Department of Health tells you.

Listen to the septic guys. Septic systems need to be installed properly to prevent contamination of ground water. If there are wells in the area that new one could be to close to a well and contaminating someone else's water. This is why they have to be designed properly, installed with a permit, and usually under the supervision of the county Health Department. 

Profile picture for GaryOnstad
I talked to some local septic contractors and they said the tank can't be fixed with out huge issues with the health department, city and fines and penalties. I can however ask the home owner to fix it or disable it. Disabling would require collapsing the tank, filling in the hole, removing and capping the toilet and sink and cementing the lines. it will make him upset but he is going to have to do it if he wants to sell the house to anyone.

Unless you are seriously considering purchasing the property, I would not bother with it.  The seller knows he did something wrong and that sooner or later the authorities would have found out.  Depending on the state, either the code or departments can make a decision as to what needs to be done. 

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
I would think the worse case would be that they made them remove the toilet and sink. I am not sure of the rules out there but I would guess it is ok to put it in the ground, you need a permit to connect to it and use it. Since it is not connected to the house I am not sure how much I would worry about it, but that's just me.

Tim