Up Grades on a House your selling

My realtor working for me the seller wanted me to put in a 8,000 aerobic septic system because the buyer wanted it.  This was to be done before the closing and they would put in the contract if they backed out they would pay for the system. Does this sound Crazy to anyone else or just me.  Needless to say I did not put the systme in. I told them I would pay for half after closing giving them a check but they would not take that, they wanted it installed before closing.
Regina
  • November 05 2012 - Owasso
  • 0

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
wow...if the existing septic system is working that seems like a frivilous request.  Not to mention that an aerobic system can likely mean much more long term maintenance than a lateral system.   That is a bit like asking for the kitchen to be totally remodeled because they don't like how it lays out. 
Offering to pay for anything after closing creates risk, especially if the purchase is an FHA purchase.  giving them any money after closing can cause problems.  If you decide to go that route you'd want to have an escrow hold back for that, but again if FHA or USDA are involved that creates problems.  It comes down to how badly you need to sell and how marketable your home is.  I tend to think if it were me,I'd wait for another buyer but I'm not in your shoes.  I mean, what if they install it and it doesn't pass inspection now, or some problem is created by the installation, or there is a hidden cost above the expected amount, the house is still yours, so it's your expense to resolve.  If you plan to have it done for the seller, you'll want to be prepared to put it in and then have the deal fall through and be out the money- did it add any value and could you increase your sales price for it?? most likely..no.

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
If you want to sale the home and you can afford it, you may consider fulfilling the buyer's request to liquidate your asset. 

BUT!!!!  If you have a good home and you believe it will get better offers, tell the buyer, "no thank you" and wait for the next offer. 

Best of Luck,

Josh Barnett, Realtor

If the septic system is in good working order and has been verified by an inspector then I would not suggest you change it out. If the buyer wants something different let them do it on their time and on their dime.

MY septic system now is a lateral working fine. Their Agent was telling them she had a Aerobic and they should change and get one.  I offered to ppay for half at closing and my agent said there would be fees and that wouldn't work.  I asked what fees but she didn't reply. I'm really upset with my Agent and don't think she is working for my best interest.

Is your current septic system in good working order?  Has a septic inspection been performed?  If issues were to arise during a septic inspection, you're going to have to deal with it, if not with the current buyer, certainly with a future buyer.  In this case you wouldn't have much leverage.  However, if there were no inspection issues, there is no reason to replace it just because the buyer 'wants' it.  If an inspection hasn't been performed yet then the buyer has no ground to stand on.

I totally agree with your thinking. I always tell my sellers to NOT improve the property for a buyer. If there was a reason the work had to be done in order to get a loan for the buyers, that would be different. They can add anything they want when it is their house. You were nice to offer to pay 1/2.

Tim