Profile picture for arlington06

Upgrading air conditioning in an Arlington duplex

I am considering options of upgrading the air conditioning system in an Arlington, VA duplex that currently has window A/C units on both the first and second floors.  I wanted advice on installing a mini-duct, split-duct, or "ductless" air-conditioning system versus central A/C which would require the installation of a duct system throughout the home.  I believe the mini-duct will be less expensive and result in greater energy efficiency (cool only the areas you need) than central A/C but will include the wall units which may not be appealing to future buyers.  I am renovating this house to live in but with an eye to future resale value.  Suggestions?  Experience from other homeowners or real estate pros?
  • May 23 2012 - Arlington
  • 0

Ultimately, it is difficult for homes without central A/C in this area to compete with the number of homes that have them. My suggestion is that you at least get an estimate of what it would cost to install central a/c. Estimates on installing central a/c vary widely though, so it might be worth getting a few.

I did sell a house last year in Chevy Chase without central a/c. The home was over 100 years old and had made a number of other high priced renovations that simply put central a/c out of the budget. Almost every potential buyer inquired about the cost to install, so it was very useful information to have.

I would be happy to put you in touch with some reputable contractors & service companies to give you estimates. Just email me at [deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]