Using SmartMove for tenant screening...

Anyone use this service to screen tenants ? Any comments on it ? Thanks....
  • February 15 2011 - Los Angeles
  • 0

What I dont like is they dont let you know why they are recommending a decline.   I have a husband and wife --- the recommend approve the entire application.  ---- But on him decline.  His score 754.  On her Accept--- Her score 682.  Now why could that be? 
With previous systems that I have used... You see each line of credit and thier payment history. 
So what is so bad about this tenant with the 754. 

Then no criminal background check?

I am calling customer service in the morning.  But I vote this a thumbs down from what I have seen.  Not enough information.  And the info that I got on this set of applicants seemed to contradict itself.  That means more work for me.

Profile picture for nyapt0

BEWARE, TRANSUNION SMARTMOVE IS RUBBISH!

let's start here

440 million mistakes in credit reports

20 million significant mistakes in credit reports

nuff said.

onto the criminal background process.  you now realize  the credit reporting system is broken take a look a at the criminal background investigation.  let's use transunion dumbmove, i'm sorry, forgive me, i mean smartmove.  a so called simple, reliable, safe, credit/background check process for landlords and tenants.  the only thing anyone is getting is a relatively quick and easy non solution.

TU will ask you (the landlord) to provide the renters name email and phone number.  you set up your account.  that will prompt an email to the renter to set up his account.  you have done little more than initiate the permission (CYA) process.

you (the renter) create your account and have request of you your social security number (SS#), your date of birth and your (the tenant) name and your permission and consent to the check releasing TU of liability.  then it will run that name, with if provided, or more likely without a middle name or initial, + date of birth (DoB).  but this DoB does not run your real DoB it either runs your age or your birth year.  the conclusion?  a result including anyone having your name and same age or birth year as a potential "hit".  what?  you ask?  where's the reliability and validity in that?  the answer?  there is none. 

what you (the landlord) are NOT told is that you have to STILL do the homework and get to the bottom of a spool of guilty party name(s) who may but are likely not your applicant, in whatever fashion you deem necessary.  you could have done this with a simple internet search of name + DoB + state + arrest records.  the search database that TU uses does not give you any better result as you could on your own--FOR FREE!  and nothing a savvy landlord or assistant shouldn't be already taking the time to do anyway.

for example.  name + age or birth year results in a hit of a first name last name aged XX with an arrest record in XX state for grand theft auto and fraudulent check writing comes to your attention.  no match against an SS#, a real DoB, a DL#.  nothing.  you better be d@mn sure this is the person who submitted before you let your potential renter know he or she has a criminal record that he or she needs to clean up or get fixed.  this record doesn't even BELONG to your potential renter.  and there goes your 3 or 4 figure monthly rent right out the door.  and possibly, if you really pissed off and insulted your applicant, a lawsuit or lessor but still irritating a magistrate or bbb complaint.  

remember, websites for online products are not in business to provide service, they are in business to make money.  and sales and product managers will make sure they make it what whatever way they can.  especially when you start looking at credit reporting bureaus, agencies whatever, even with the newly filed complaints against the BBB ratings raquet a supposed non profit where high level leaders are making in upwards of $250,000 dollars.  don't believe me?  take a look for yourself.

what is that saying Caveat emptor  let the buyer beware?  it doesn't only apply to you as renter proviso but a service proviso.  be sure as a TU dumbmove, sorry, smartmove customer you know what you and your potential customer are getting for the money.  do you really need scads of (possibly inaccurate and if so, not necessarily a predictor of rent payment reliability) credit history or a autopayment or bank ledger of past paid rents.

If you like the SmartMove by TransUnion than you will love the service from a company [promotion and hotlinks deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please see our Good Neighbor Policy]

Profile picture for Mills Realty
If it works then it sounds like a very valuable tool.

Hi Vince,

I gave the site info to one of my clients and my sister.  My client didn't have any success because the prospective tenant was not computer literate so had a hard time maneuvering in the site.  As for my sister, she had very good luck with it-- she was able to effectively and quickly screen her prospective tenant.  So it seems to work well if you have a tenant and landlord who both know how to use a computer.