Profile picture for stevejays

Using listing agent..

Can i approach the listing agent to show a property? Can i do it even if i am working with another agent? Just curious
  • April 05 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for j3350489
Stay faithful to your agent . They will work hard for you . The listing agent just work hard to close the sale not really caring about you .

You are better off to use your own agent,  I didn't on my first purchase and got burned bad, turned out the agent was the mom of the seller and it was not disclosed

To answer your question - Yes you can approach the listing agent directly.  If you have signed a buyers agency agreement that commits you to your agent, then I you should definitely use your buyers agent. 

In your other question you stated the Listing Agent had shown you the property.  Your buyer agent can show you the property and write an offer but just beware of "Procuring Cause".  I would get your agent actively involved and working.  I think t's best to use someone that "works for you and your best interest.

As a listing agent my contract is with my seller.  

Keep in mind that the seller pays the fees for the agents, if that's your concern.

That being said, your own agent will be looking out for your own interests.  So like the previous response unless you're really savvy it's always better to have your own agent. As well as buying a home can be emotional and when you're doing the buying and negotiating this can sometimes create issues. 

Good luck, ALOHA

If you look at house and tell the listing agent upfront that you already have an agent, then you generally do not have to use the listing agent for the deal. Some people do deal direct with the listing agent, but unless you are experienced or have a great feeling about using them, I would probably opt to get my own agent instead.

You can ask your buyer agent write the offer, but you do not have to sign a blanket representation agreement with them. If you feel better about limiting the scope, you can ask for a limited timeline like 3-6 months or you can name the specific property address for the house in your buyers agent agreement. Make sure you feel comfortable and understand whatever you sign.

Profile picture for stevejays
I understand that it is better to use my own agent - but i do not have an exclusive agreement with my agent - is it better to get one? Also if i see a home using a listing agent, and if later i want to put an offer down, can i do it with my agent or am i stuck with the listing agent?[contest hotbutton deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

I am glad to show my listings to other agents' clients, but why not have your agent show it to you?

Whenever someone asks me if they should go direct to the listing agent for a property, I recommend they use (and continue to use in your case) the services of someone that is only invested in you as a customer - a buyer's agent. 

Dual agency deals do work and happen all of the time. However, an agent is supposed to try to get the best price for their customer. The problem is - how can one agent try to get the best price for the seller and try to get the best price for the buyer at the same time?
If you are already working with another agent, you should consult your buyer's agreement.

Either way, good luck!

You can call a listing agent but the first thing they will ask is "are you working with a realtor" and if the answer is yes, they will ask you to have your realtor call for a showing.  This is not to say you cannot use the listing agent to purchase the specific house abd not uxe your own agent, but in hindsight it is good to have your own representation, as the listing agent works for the seller and that is where he/she fiduciary lies.  Does this make sense? I would happy to clarify and answer more questions if need be.