Profile picture for dsellinger

Vacant Land ZESTIMATE, with edited facts

I don't really care that the number is way off, but it does cause me to wonder how the calculations are done. I own 2 pieces of vacant land in a development, and am building on one of them. After "claiming" the property and then putting in information for the home being built the value dropped a few hundred dollars vs. the unclaimed lot.
The value of each lot is about 1/2-1/3 of neighbor's values.

July 18 2007 - US

Profile picture for dsellinger
I guess my question was, how is empty land calculated vs built land? And then is there a way to add "improvements" such as a house and get an idea of estimated value?

Hi dsellinger -

We don't have the feature to come up with a Zestimate or a My Estimator for vacant lands at this time.

The Zestimate is based on public facts that we receive from county records which is then applied to a proprietary formula.

To learn more about Zestimates please refer to this link http://www.zillow.com/howto/Zestimate.htm.

Profile picture for Dan Isaacs

Old thread, I know.  But if the public facts are what is used, and the only public facts you have are the size of the lot and the tax value, how is it possible that the Zestimates are several times the tax value?  I have some examples if you'd like to explore, or you can look for other threads I've posted on the topic.

February 20 2008

Getting accurate data for non-disclosure states (e.g., Utah)
Profile picture for Tony Reece
Latest reply by Tony Reece
My Zestimate is WRONG
Profile picture for lucphan1937
Latest reply by lucphan1937
August 28 | 15 answers
Why is my home's zestimate declining rapidly while my neighbor's stays the same?
Latest reply by Pasadenan
August 24 | 75 answers
Class Action Lawsuit for Wrong Zestimates!
Latest reply by Pasadenan
August 14 | 4 answers
  • Posted by nickvarda
  • In Zestimates
Don't complain to Zillow, you can fix your Zestimate yourself
Latest reply by Pasadenan
August 11 | 33 answers