Profile picture for Folsom2000

Valuation issues after updating room addition and square feet

Hello.

We added on a fully permitted ground floor room that added approx 400 square feets.  We have also done a extensive kitchen and land scapeing remodel.  I added these into the house profile and the value of the house actuually went down.  I see alot of other home owners adding sq feet under a ADDITIONAL SQ FEET heading.  I cannot seem to find this in my home descripion.  Look at 377 olympian way, 94044.  They added 1600 plus square feet (impossible) to this house to unfairly raise its value.  I am trying at add 400 + real square feet to my house at 144 hopfield Drive, 95630 and my value actually goes down?
  • September 14 2011 - Folsom
  • 0

It can take a few weeks for you to see a difference in your Zestimate.

Even then, there is a chance that it can still be incorrect. The Zestimate is just an estimate of value based off of sales data in your neighborhood. It has no effect on the actual value of your home.

If you are curious to know the value of your home after the addition. You should order an appraisal from a local appraiser that is familiar with your neighborhood. 

Or, you can contact a local Realtor and ask them for a Comparable Market Analysis. Most Realtor's will be more than happy to send you this report for FREE.

Sorry you are having these frustrations.

From your profile, it looks like you edited your home facts yesterday.  The Zestimate is likely to respond with addition of 400 square feet to your home data but it does take time. (The Zestimate does not use data on landscaping and remodeling kitchens (or other upgrades).) The time frame tends to be several weeks to several months - the last one I monitored carefully was 8 weeks.

The Zestimate updates automatically 3x a week (most of the time).  Therefore, if you saw a change from when you edited facts and now then the change is most likely the routine update not taking your edits into account.

There are some people who game the system and add 1600 square fictional feet. (There are dishonest people everywhere.) You can report this (under "edit" use report problem).  Part of Zillow's filter for avoiding people gaming the system is the delay between editing facts and the Zestimate recalculation.  

I hope that helps understand the system somewhat.