WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY $9.95 TO LIST A HOME FOR RENT ON ZILLOW?

Seems kind of ridiculous since most online classified sites are free now.
Is there any way around this if I have a Lender profile?

• December 15 2009 - Seattle
  • 1

Hi guys:

Great questions -- please read our announcement, and if you have any additional thoughts or concerns, please feel free to post them here.

Spencer from Zillow here.

Naima, you should have your broker send Zillow a listings feed for all of your office's listings. That's how 97% of our listings end up on the site. Listings feeds are free, and they're much more reliable and less time consuming than manual listings.
I looked at your listings and many of them have pretty solid view counts (check the upper right corner of the listing pages to see how many times they have been viewed). So I suspect that you're mistaken -- you probably have gotten leads from your listings being on Zillow, but you're not aware of it. In addition, remember that if you don't post your listings onto Zillow, the property still appears on Zillow (since we show all homes not just those that are for sale). You're much better off having the home listed for sale. If it's not listed for sale, then when someone looks it up on Zillow (perhaps because they found the listing on another site and they come to Zillow to research it more) they'll just see the public facts on the home and the Zestimate; they won't see the listing information or your contact info. Remember that Zillow is the 2nd most visited real estate site on the web (just 7% behind #1 Realtor.com) and we have the #1 real estate app on the iphone. You should want your clients' listings to be on Zillow. And in the Dallas area, we get around 300,000 visitors each month (see here). Bottom line: have your broker send us an XML listings feed -- it's free, it's accurate and it's easy.

Sandra,
No you of course don't have to pay $9.95 to post your rental listings on Zillow. But we have a lot of visitors, and it's a small price to pay to get the marketing exposure that putting it on Zillow will provide. Craigslist is free in most cities (though not all), but Zillow is another good alternative.

I was very surprised to see that too today.  Although it is a minimal price and I've been posting my listings on Zillow since 2006 (over 300 listings).  I have never received a single solid lead so I don't see a justification for paying for rentals.

Naima

Zillow appears to be changing their business model.