Profile picture for Gannet

WIC off master bath; can someone explain this to me?

We're shopping houses, and looking at new construction.  One feature I'm seeing in a lot of houses has me truly puzzled: the master bedroom has one closet, a nice big walk-in but the entrance to the closet is in the master bath.

Huh, what?

I'm trying to picture how this would work in practice.  The wife and I are getting ready for work.  She runs a bit behind me.  So while she is using the bathroom to shower, etc., I need to get my clothes.  How does this work?  I need to put on socks and underwear.  I go in the bathroom, interrupting her, go in the closet, get the stuff, come out and go back in the bedroom to sit on the bed to robe.  Repeat for pants.  Repeat again for shirt.

Huh?

What am I missing, somebody please 'splain it to me.

November 10 2010 - Ellenton

It is designed so that once you get out of the shower you can get dressed before you even come out of the bathroom.

The theory is that doing so gives you more wall space in the master bedroom.  It takes awhile to get used to, but many builders are doing it that way these days.

It takes a wee bit if getting used to, and it does tend to force two people to get more efficient in their activities.  (example: on cold mornings, open the closet door before you shower so the closet is warm when you step in damp and undressed.)  Then, suddenly it becomes absolutely wonderful and you realize you never want to see a closet door in a master bedroom wall again.   ...  at least that is what happened to hubby & me. 

Profile picture for Gannet
Ok, why?  What is absolutely wonderful about it?

Given the size of the masters in these places, I can afford some wall space.

It provides more usable wall space in the Master Bedroom although that's probably not reason enough to sell many people on the practicality of putting the entry in the bathroom.

Problem solver...do like I do and use all of the master closet.  Have your husband put his clothes in the hallway closet or a spare bedroom.  No thoroughfare while you're getting dressed/cleaned up.  Works for me.  ;-)

I prefer access from the BR, I can see myself doing a headbutt into the sheetrock while trying to get the 2nd leg into pants and no bed to sit on.

I'm with Gannet. It's not wonderful and if you're buying a new house you shouldn't have to get used to a feature the irritates you. Styles in houses and buildings come and go. It's like the exposed beams and wood paneling of the 1970's or the soaring unpaintable angled walls of the 1990's. Some styles wear well and others don't.

I would not want the closet off of the master bath either wall due to inconvenience, poo poo smells and humidity concerns from the shower, but builders seem to think it's "in" right now so you probably have another 2-3 years of plans that include it as a "feature". Gotta love the architects that design stuff on paper that they never have to live with.

This particular feature totally depends on an individual's taste.  Pros & cons to each.  We sell a lot of new construction and have about as many who prefer this as do not.  A lot of people who are getting dressed for whatever occasion need the bathroom mirrors, hairdryer, razors, curling irons, etc.,... that are already located in the bathroom so it is quite convenient to have your clothes right next to you.  To each his own.

Designers everyday meet challenges arranging floor plans, maximizing wall space, esablishing traffic flow, and more. They also address Current fads and meet mass demand in their decisions. Their design should keep in mind costs and value for everyone through the process, but ultimately and most important, the end consumer.Efficiency of design continues to evolve as lifestyles, needs and construction methods and technology change.
Adapting current floor plans is common, even in a production model home. In your example, adding a separation between the closet/hall and bath like a swing or pocket door would work. Increasing the CFM of a ventilation fan or adding a window would solve other moisture issues. Moving the closet door into the bedroom could also work. During design/purchase, modifying a standard floor plan is only a funtion of time and money, which is much less that after the walls are up.
The alternative of a truly custom home design is always out there. Many design professionals and builders do a great job of listening and matching the buyers needs to their solutions that includes their vast experience.
Your description sounds like one of those example of poor and hasty forethought. Make the change it so it works for you!

Put a bench in the closet, so you can sit down in there and put your socks on!

And........If your wife is modest, when she is in the shower - close your eyes while walking through the bathroom.......and don't peek!

:)

Been building for 35 years, and I see this all the time. Pure nuts. Nobody will get dressed in a foggy steamy bathroom. I always put my closets just before the bath, or on the other side of the MB. See my homes @http://holbenhomes.com Building Denver since 1977!

bench in closet, built in drawers for undies and sock.

All three of our homes have been designed this way.  The first one, a new build in 1980, it's not a new concept.

The baths have always been large enough for two the get ready plus use the closet. 

You will learn to 'layout' the attire in advance if overlap is a problem.

Bench, built in Chest, may as well pull the TV and bed in there and make it a tiny BR. Oh, bring the laptop too.

Profile picture for n2itall
Seems like you would have damp, or mold issues...Won't humid conditions  ruin some materials over time.

We have the walk-in from the master bath, but the master bath is large enough to allow both of us in at the same time without any issues (her sink/vanity/etc. is on one end, mine on the other, and the walk-in shower and bath are in between).

It works out well, but I can see where it could be a traffic issue if our master bath were smaller.

Note: We use the closet as a place to store/get clothing. We still bring the clothing into the bedroom, vice dressing in the closet.

Profile picture for kim0512
I've seen that in some home plans. My only concern was, would steam from the shower mildew the clothes in the closet? Or would they be protected from the steam? If they were protected from the moisture then I would have no problem with it.

We have no issues with steam from the shower. The bathroom should have sufficient ventilation to clear the steam. We also have a door on the closet, so it is not necessarily "open" to the rest of the master bath.

Find a house that has the features you want.  If you don't want to walk thru the master bath to get to the closet, eliminate those homes from your list, or find a new REALTOR® that will help find a home with the features you want.

Closet off master bath is common in our area.  The purpose is to allow more wall space in the master bedroom, typically it allows you to have a much larger closet as well.  I Love it!  My hubby gets up before I do, he grabs his undies and socks from the drawer and heads to the bathroom, closes the door, brushes his teeth, uses the bathroom, showers, then heads to the closet to get dressed.  When he comes out he is fully dressed and ready to go. It works GREAT for us!  Whatever suites your fancy.

Commission on new construction?
Profile picture for Daniel Young
Latest reply by Daniel Young
August 06 | 22 answers
Profile picture for Renae  Anderson
Latest reply by Renae Anderson
Help with negotiations on new construction
Profile picture for Lloyd Vaughn
Latest reply by Lloyd Vaughn
Too soon to engage an agent
Profile picture for Jose Smith Jr
Latest reply by Jose Smith Jr
Deposit on new construction?
Latest reply by SoCal Engr

1. 60 Mourningdove Ct # 60, Ellenton, FL Home For Sale
    60 Mourningdove Ct # 60, Ellenton, FL 34222

2. 556 Bayshore Dr, Ellenton, FL Home For Sale
    556 Bayshore Dr, Ellenton, FL 34222

3. 931 Riverscape St, Bradenton, FL Home For Sale
    931 Riverscape St, Bradenton, FL 34208