Profile picture for dave.edwards

WIll a restricted view of front yard and pretty trees negatively affect the curb appeal?

I have a quesion regarding curb appeal.  I planted a number of decorative trees in the front yard of a 2.4 acre home site.  The house is up the hill from a highway that borders the front yard.  I plan to plant some fast growing evergreens along the property line to help block the highway noise and add privacy.  However, this would severely limit the street view of the front yard.  So, my question is:  How much wIll the restricted view of the front yard and all the pretty trees negatively affect the curb appeal when I sell the house one day? 

February 09 2012 - Nashville

The biggest question to ask is, "How is the home going to photograph with the added landscaping."  Remember more people will see your home who are truly in the home market on-line than by driving by.  I'd seriously be checking camera angles to see if you can get the best of both world, foliage and great curb appeal.  To answer your question, however, more directly...I think the trees would be a wonderful addition.

Very helpful 

February 16 2012
Profile picture for dave.edwards
Thanks for the responses.  I believe we are thinking along the same track with this question.

February 13 2012

Opinions vary of course, so you may lose some buyers who wanted that view of the front street.  However, your property should be more private now, which is a plus to some buyers.  You mention "sell the house one day".  If it is not for sale for now, nor you are considering putting it on the market.  I encourgage my homeowning clients to simply enjoy their houses & property.  In other words, the trees, you want them?  Plant them and enjoy.  I would not lose any sleep over what it might do to the value of your house, there are many other factors that will do that which we can't control.  Enjoy your home and plant those trees :)Best of luck.  Spirit

February 11 2012
Dave
    Good question , and with a big lot like yours it may appeal more to
people who enjoy gardening and the beauty of trees / landscaping .
 So since the lot size will attract a certain type of homeowner , I think the trees will add to the value.
  J.W. 

February 11 2012